Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long would you keep a home made dry rub around before you consider it expired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long would you keep a home made dry rub around before you consider it expired?

I want to make up a batch of dry rub and am wondering how long it will last if it is keep in a good tight container.

Hmmmm. I think that's like asking how long can you leave beer in the fridge. It probably wont last long enough to worry.

Comment

The rule of thumb is one year to have about the same quality.

Comment

I store my rubs in a ziploc in the freezer.

Comment

I do t think it will go bad. The flavours just get weaker and you might need to apply more.

Comment

A airtight container is important as well as keeping it in a cool dark place.

Comment

I make big batches and put them in old jumbo sized plastic spice containers. My daughter bought me smaller glass containers with big openings to shake the rub on. They rub goes from the plastic to the glass - all stored in cupboards at room temp and it takes about 2 months for beef rub to be replenished and 6 months for poultry rub. They all shake out well and hold their flavor. The one thing that I learned not to put in is brown sugar because it causes clumping in the summer months. I add the brown sugar on the day of the rub if it calls for it.

Comment

• Sephon
                Sephon commented
                Editing a comment
                I put a Marshmallow in with mine in the big spice containers, keeps the brown sugar from clumping.

• PaulstheRibList
                PaulstheRibList commented
                Editing a comment
                Go @Sephon!!! #CantWait2Try

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                PaulstheRibList you stole my words! I think the idea is fantastic, too. Thanks for the tip Sephon. It is much appreciated.

Mason jars are your friend.

Comment

• Storlok
                Storlok commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll second that remark.

I always make my rubs fresh.

Comment

When I make a big batch of a favorite rub I only keep what I think I'll use in the next 6 months or so in a jar with my other spices and rubs. The rest I portion into a few bags which I vac seal and freeze.

Comment

I also keep my rubs frozen in a ziploc with all the air pushed out. The advantage is that the brown sugar does not ' clump ' when frozen..

Comment

Great Ideas thanks for the information.

Comment

Mine never last in the freezer for more than 1-2 months. But they are stored in a mason jar.

Comment

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        BigCountryQ - do you vacuum them?

I have before, but that vacuum sealer pooped out on me and my new one doesn't have the same canister Doo hickey. So now I just throw it in the jar and then freeze it.

Comment

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks, was just curious!

I've had rubs for years that are still fine. Are fresh ones better? Could be, Idk. But the ones I've had for years are still pretty good.

Let's face it, you mix up your own rub from pepper, paprika, garlic powder, etc... can you tell me how old those were before you got them? We're all pawns of Big Herb & Spice.

Comment

• LarryO47
                        LarryO47 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Years???? You need to cook more...lol.

• Mosca
                        Mosca commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It's not that, it's that every time I see a rub that I haven't tried, I buy it. So it sits in the cabinet while I buy more rubs.

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        "Big Herb" and his girlfriend "Spice" - I like it!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here