Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Injections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injections

I have a high quality olive oil store in my town. I know olive oil can have a distinct flavor, but this store has many interesting olive oils and vinegars. Has anyone injected flavored olive oils into beef, poultry, or pork? All comments appreciated.

When it comes to beef I have only injected beef broth. With chicken or turkey all I have used is Tony Chachere's Injections both with a lot of success. Olive oils and vinegar sounds interesting. If you try it please post results.

Comment

No, not yet. I think the main issue holding me back is that oil and water don't mix well. To get flavors in I would use water as a base. BUT, that's just me. If/when you do try it out, be sure to let us know how it goes!

Comment

For chicken a simple salt solution does plenty.

Like above, the Tony Chachere's is my go to for turkey and it has plenty sodium.

I hate injecting beef. Give me a three day dry brine for briskets, 24 hours for chuck roasts.

I'll admit injecting pork butts gives nice little pockets of somewhat flavorful wonderment but I don't do that anymore. Too much goodness without spending $$$ on injections.

Comment

• Jeff_Carley
          Jeff_Carley commented
          Editing a comment
          like the salt brine injection idea. Cant seem to get my chucks to consistently come out tender and moist. that could help with both. i dry brine min 24 hrs for chuck

A question you need to ask yourself is what is your intent of injecting....

Personally injecting for me is more about getting salt into the meat as a sort of quickie brine or as a way to penetrate thick cuts of meat with a salt solution as opposed to flavoring. I want the meat to carry on its own without a lot of additional flavoring.... Like meathead has said before... I want pulled pork that tastes like pork not like cherry dr. pepper or something like that.

I don't personally take the time to inject chicken....

Turkey may be a little different as some folks are trying to add fat to or butterball their turkey. Like Jerod, I too like Tony's as an injection for the bird... but that is a flavor profile I like.

Brisket may get a beef broth injection...

Pork Shoulder gets a salt and sugar solution with a touch of apple juice and worcestershire. (not enough to overpower the meat)

As Henrik said, Oil and Water don't mix... I'm not sure injecting is going to add the moisture you are looking for which is kind of a big reason folks inject. Also I don't use vinegars in my injections as I feel like they make the meat to mushy from their ability to break it down....'

Personally I would save my money or use the oils as dressings for a salad or veggies or something like that... good luck.

Comment

I think I may have found a way to use the olive oil. I was browsing here the other night and came across Meathead Goldwyn's article about Adam Perry Lang's Board Sauces. What a great idea! you can flavor the meat after it is cooked, supplementing whatever you have already done, without injecting the olive oil. You can also control the flavoring a little better, and you don't have to worry about oil and water mixing. It's just a sauce. You could easily make several and just toss the meat with it after carving. Don't know why I haven't really thought about that before, but neither had Mr. Goldwyn (he definitely deserves my respect) so I guess I am in good company. If you haven't read this article, you should. That is what I really love about this site. I learn so much, and many myths I have grown up with have been 'busted'. And all this information is provided not for the purpose of making profit, but making us all better cooks. To give you an idea of the potential (this is not your regular olive oil), here is a link to Town Square Olive Oil in Covington, Georgia. It is my understanding that there are only a couple of places in Georgia that sells this stuff. They have infused olive oil, flavored balsamic vinegars, flavored salts, and other cool stuff. I have no connection with this business other than loving what they sell. Take a look here:http://townsquareoliveoil.com/

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Now you're talking. I'm a very big fan of board sauces myself. Gives you exactly what you want, with full control over flavoring et.c. Plus it looks nice too.

I inject chicken and turkey with a solution that includes garlic olive oil. The county over from mine declares themselves the "olive capital" of CA. Therefore, I have access to fresh, infused olive oils. I use a mixture of beer, my rub, 1/4 cup ranch dressing and 1/4 cup garlic olive oil as an injection. I typically rub the day before and inject just before smoking. I find it to be really good for breasts. They tend to be much moister than non-injected. While doing a whole bird, I inject the dark meat, too. I'm not convinced it really has an effect on moisture. In fact, if I'm doing parts, I don't bother injecting dark meat. I always inject breasts I'm smoking. On a side note - I don't inject anything I'm simply grilling.

Comment

• Atalanta
            Atalanta commented
            Editing a comment
            We only buy COOP certified olive oil now. BF insists it tastes fresher than imported.

I inject my turkey with Chili or Garlic olive oil, I will also rub the outside with the same oil. Then dust with rub of your choice. Sometimes I will just dust with Poultry Seasoning to go simple and let the oil flavor shine.

Comment

I know meat has a lot of natural water in it, but wouldn't the oil flavor the internal marbeling of some meats when it starts rendering? Internal fat doesn't mix with water either... Curious cuz I've had the same idea.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here