Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kickstarter for Seasoning Stixs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kickstarter for Seasoning Stixs

I came across this Kickstarter the other day and would love to hear others feedback on this.

While watching the video I got a few laughs and a couple face palms over their "science" behind the product. Probably the worst being that they feel all the water is gone from the inside of the meat at 110 degrees which is the temp they say the stick will melt at and magically be absorbed by the now waterless meat. I also enjoyed how they think this is the first innovation in spices in 1000 years (and completely ignore injection which would accomplish similar results.)

So my question for everyone here is - Am I missing something and this might actually have a valid use or was I spot on from the start?

Note - First post so hopefully putting this is the right place. Mods please move if it but figured this was the best place since they are comparing their product against rubs and marinades.

Here's a related thread: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...on/208033-stix

Comment

Welcome RipSUp! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit RipSUp!

I don't doubt they'd do something, but as the thread Mbmorgan linked you to discusses, a few of us are thinking it'll give you pockets or channels of seasonings. You're 'injecting' dry spice sticks, how is this easier or more beneficial than good ol' fashioned injecting, unless you don't have an injector, never injected, or think it's hard. I've never eaten any dry meat at 110 but have eaten plenty of moist meat at 200. BS meter on high alert.

Comment

They look intriguing. They are right that rubs and marinades don't penetrate. Sometimes they burn. Sometimes the heat creates chemical reactions that are tasty, like caramelization. Of course, the proof is in the cooking. Will they melt? Will the flavors travel (not likely)? Will they taste good? Would a steak taster better with seasoning inside it than it does with just plain salt and pepper? What flavors would YOU add to a great USDA Prime steak? Tuna? Etc.? Will the flavors be subtle or overpowering? Will they dissolve or be like little bones when you bite? Will it be better than injecting? Will they deliver product on time (many Kickstarters are very late in actually shipping products)? On another point, I REALLY object to unfounded accusations that HFCS is unhealthy. Cheap shot marketing unworthy of politicians. And a little white turmeric is a health benefit? Give me a break! On a technical standpoint, meat is 70% water and during cooking it loses 20-30% by weight, most by drip loss, not evaporation, and much of that is fat. The meat fibers are not not dehydrated.

Comment

Welcome RipSUp

Comment

RipSUp, Welcome to The Pit! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ University! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Congratulations, Your first Post has the attention of several Prof's at least Two Deans and the President of the Whole Shebang, @Meathead!
              Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here