Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boneless Pork Butt, Can I Texas Crutch It ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I always cook mine to color and when the bark is the way I want it, then I will wrap. This usually happens at about 185 F or so. Then I get a great bark and allow some time for it to soften up too, just a bit. It has served me well.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
        I have done them every which way on a BGE. Here are a couple of thoughts. I find that if I wrap them after a cook and hold them in an ice chest for at least two hours they come out better, and they are a little more moist with the excess fat being more easily removed when you pull them. Can you put a water pan in your pellet cooker? That would help and would help more smoke stick to your meat. I’ve wrapped them through the stall when I am pressed for time and that works well, but the bark is overly soft.
        Got some on the Traeger pellet grill right now. Four total pieces ie. two shoulders each cut in half. I put a small loaf pan filled with water on the bottom rack right over the firepot. It seems to be helping.

They are making good progress, they have been in about 3.5 hours so far, I dry brined/rubbed it last night and so it was easy to pop it in the grill around 0830am today.

I've got the temp turned up a bit, it is cooking at around 265 degrees.

Comment

Well this started as a duplicate post so I will add one more thought here.

There was so much juice and fat dripping from the four pieces. I had put the two larger ones with the big fat pad on the lower rack, fat side down.

What I did later was to move the big ones underneath the little ones which are on the top rack, so the juice will drip down on top of the big'uns.

Got this idea somewhere it was mentioned that the Costco rotisserie chickens are constantly basting each other as they rotate.
          Last edited by zzdocxx; February 1, 2021, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Update, just wrapped the biggest piece.

What's weird is that the really dense part of the meat takes much longer to come up to temp. I am not sure if ever gets soft like the fatty parts do.

In the past I was waiting and waiting for the whole thing to get soft, then it ended up dried out. So now I am more inclined to not wait for the dense piece to come up to temp.

When I was cooking the bone in ones that look like a chuck roast, it was the piece at one end behind the bone, I imagine there is a term for it. I think I have read that part is not presented when competitions are done.

Comment

Picture, pictures! We need pictures!

Comment

Of course, my bad !
                Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here