Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-smoked pork butt pot roast, ever try it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clickable:

Slow-Roasted Spiced Pork Recipe | Ina Garten | Food Network

Our oldest granddaughter, who is an excellent cook, made this for Easter dinner a couple of years ago, and it was delicious.
    Last edited by gcdmd; January 14, 2021, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Along the same lines is people don't cook a pork butt for slicing very often. My kids really like it when I cook a boneless butt to 165-175 internal and make sliced pork. I do it kind of like Huskee does but on the smoker, catch the drippings in a pan then separate the fat out and make some gravy. I don't cook the veggies in the pan but I guess you could.
      A nice thick slice of that pork butt with some mashed taters, cheesy broccoli and baked beans is pretty hard to beat!!

Comment

I'm looking forward to a few recipes for Slow Cooker Pork Pot Roast showing up over on the Recipes channel. There are a slew of recipes when I googled, but many of them involve a can of cream of mushroom soup and a packet of onion soup mix. I definitely won't be trying those.

The Ina Garten recipe that gcdmd linked us to sounds good, though. The comments on it are mixed. The glop it is marinated in overnight sounds tasty.

Any chance of getting your wife's recipe, Huskee ?

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; January 12, 2021, 07:49 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Sure, but it's not really a recipe per se. It's just basically as described in the text above. I will ask her if I'm missing anything but it's quite simple.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          So, Huskee , seared the meat, deglazed the Instant Pot with red wine, added veggies, and maybe broth then cooked on the Slow Cooker mode for 5 hours on High then thickened the jus into gravy?

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; January 12, 2021, 03:49 PM.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc I was wrong there's more to it, see below. (Never actually meant this to be a real recipe but you've inspired to make it one )

Yep. Love it. Easy, makes for a change especially when weather is nasty. Gotta be careful not to turn the veg into mush tho. Some great recipe ideas here!
        Last edited by Texas Larry; January 12, 2021, 08:27 AM.

Comment

I’m doing Hawaiian style pulled pork in the slow cooker today.

Comment

Made a pork butt with sauerkraut and dumplings for New Years Day. All slow-roasted in the oven.
            Attached Files

Comment

• jlazar
              jlazar commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you so much.

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks good. Do you cut the dogs in half crosswise or lengthwise? TIA.

• luvthemstillers
              luvthemstillers commented
              Editing a comment
              gcdmd I cut the hotdogs crosswise to make them more bite size.

Reading these is making my stomach growl. Guess what's going into the crockpot tomorrow?

Comment

OK fzxdoc There was a bit more to it than I realized after I asked her, so here are the details. Much if it is winged, not important to be too terribly precise.

~4lb pork butt, trimmed well of exterior fat and dry brined day before (or morning of, but in advance anyway)
              ~baby carrots or chopped carrots*
              ~chunked potatoes*
              ~chunked onions*
              ~ roughly 1 Cup chicken stock
              ~splash red wine
              ~salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary

*veggies above, just use however much looks instinctively right. The more the merrier, trust me.

~Sear the pork butt well in a hot cast iron skillet on all sides. Then add some onion powder, garlic powder, pepper and rosemary to it. Place in Instant Pot or crock pot.

~Salt & pepper the veggies and toss lightly with olive oil. Add to the pot.

~Add the ~1 Cup chicken stock

~Deglaze the cast iron skillet after searing with splash red wine, scrape and add it all to the pot.

~Set to slow cook mode for 6-7 hours. Or Pressure cook mode according to the Instant Pot's recipe chart for the weight of meat you have. *My wife said she set it for 5hrs initially but then had to pressure cook it for ~40 mins due to it not being completely done after 5hrs. She figures another hour (6 total) 'should' be enough but 7 surely will.

~
              Once done, ladle out as much of the jus as you can, add it to a skillet and add cornstarch as needed and simmer to thicken to a desired gravy consistency. Taste and re-season to taste if needed. Add back to pot. You're done!

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks a bunch, Huskee , for getting more details from your wife. I'm going to give this a try this weekend. Thank your wife for me.

Kathryn

Huskee did this recipe today. It was incredible. I know a lot will laugh at this but I think I liked it better than pulled pork. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the feedback David! I know what you mean, it seems a bit of heresy to speak so highly of a non-outdoor cooked pork butt but it really is to die for if you like that sorta thing. I will post this in the Recipes Only section soon.

• Deaf Arty
                Deaf Arty commented
                Editing a comment
                DavidNorcross I gotta agree with you. Tried it yesterday and I'll certainly do this again. Awesome flavor, and much more tender than chuck. Huskee, thanks for the idea!

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, glad you liked it! Deaf Arty

I was born in '69 in Indiana and growing up, "BBQ" at restaurants was exactly what you described with BBQ sauce added to it after it was pulled. There's a reason six million Hoosiers ignored our neighbors to the south and fell back on slow cooker methods. Makes for good eating.

I lived in Georgia from about '72-'75 and have fond memories of pulled pork from there. I didn't get the BBQ bug until '96 when I tried mom and pop BBQ in Alabama with slaw on top the sandwich. I went back to Indiana, went to the library, and checked out both books on authentic southern BBQ. :-) Been in pursuit ever since.

Comment

We've done boston butts in a crock pot before, if that counts.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Same, with or w/o Boston in the butt's name

Originally posted by Texas Larry View Post
                Yep. Love it. Easy, makes for a change especially when weather is nasty. Gotta be careful not to turn the veg into mush tho. Some great recipe ideas here!
                That was my question, I don't like vegetables to be mush. I made beef short ribs last night, seared and braised in beef broth with lots of garlic and red wine in a Dutch oven in the oven at 350. Took a little over three hours, but I cut up big chunky onion, carrots and potatoes and threw them in with about an hour to an hour and a half to go. If I'd left them in the whole time, they woulda been waaaaaaaay to soft and mushy.

I realized slow-cooker mode is much lower temp, but when doing a Mississippi pot roast, I do the same - throw the veggies in with about 2+ hours to go. If you do yours for 5 hours with the pork, are they not too soft and just mush?

Comment

• Texas Larry
                  Texas Larry commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I start with onions that go the whole distance, add the other veg closer to halfway through like your method. I don’t use a slow cooker.

• DavidNorcross
                  DavidNorcross commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I prepared this dish yesterday in a crockpot. Cooked for nearly 7 hours and the vegetables were perfect.

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nope, my [wife's] recipe isn't mush, the taters are perfect to the fork and the carrots aren't crunchy but also aren't mush. My mom used to make slow cooker pot roast and we always ate mushy carrots, no good.

We just made pork roast and sauerkraut yesterday and it's best with butt. This is my number one favorite meal. We've tried it a few times with vegetables, apples and such but I prefer just the pork and kraut served with mashed potatoes.

Comment

Did one past weekend in sous vide. 24 hours @ 165F for fall apart tender. I'd do 145F for something that could be sliced.

Comment

So I did kind of a take on this, made a few changes, but it came out PHENOMENAL. Here's what I did, I wrote it up for a friend of mine who asked for the 'recipe' (lol, funny girl!).
                    "Pork roast w/vegetables
                    First take a big pork butt and trim the fat as much as reasonable, then liberally salt with KOSHER salt and leave in a couple of WM sacks in the fridge overnight. The one I used was an 8lb butt. You need a big crockpot for this with all the veggies - I actually transferred to a big roasting pan in the oven at 350 for the last hour to hour and a half, just because of overloading my crock pot.

Next, use a big cast iron and some oil (I use avocado as it has a higher smoke point) to get a hard sear all around if possible, top & bottom at least. You can cut it into 1/2, 1/3 or 1/4 and things will go quicker, it won't matter at all on the final product.
                    Throw it in a crock pot on high.

The fond and oil in the bottom of the cast iron is your friend. Throw a cup or so of chicken stock in there and scrape it as you bring it to simmer to get all that flavor into the broth. Throw in several cloves of fresh chopped garlic. Liberally add Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning (1TBSP?), onion powder (1TBSP?), some black pepper (1tsp?) and at least a teaspoon or so of ground or chopped dried rosemary. Season it liberally, you want a LOT of flavor in this, as you are seasoning a large amount of meat and veggies. Let that garlic and stuff simmer for a couple of minutes in the juice. Throw in a stick of butter cut into chunks, simmer a couple of minutes to get it all melted, mixing everything, you're "mounting" the sauce with butter, emulsifying all the spices. More salt won't hurt, either, again - LOTS of meat & veggies to season.

On top of your pork butt in the crock pot, sprinkle a full packet of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix, the powder. Then pour all your juice/sauce/gravy over the top. Pour a little more chicken stock in your pan, swish it around to get all that flavor and seasoning and pour it in, too.

Give it 4h or so on high, maybe flipping your meat every 2h, then add celery, onion, carrots and potatoes. I make these fairly large (the onion the largest pieces) as I like chunky veggies.

Then let it simmer, again continuing to flip and stir periodically. It's done when veggies are tender, your meat is probably literally falling apart now if you're still trying to flip it.

That's it. Pretty simple, really. With an Instant Pot it would be really quick. A smaller 2-3lb butt and veggies would probably cook in an hour to an hour and a half."

Mine came out incredibly good. Every single drop was taken home by friends and I was left with zero leftovers, just the way I like it!

Hope this slight modification works for you guys!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here