Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porchetta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porchetta

Check out the BBQ Pit Boys porchetta recipe. I made it yesterday with a few minor changes. I skipped the bacon. I tried to get my butcher to supply skin-on pork loin, but apparently I didn't give him enough time, so I got regular pork loin. I didn't take photos yesterday, but I do have a few leftover slices, so I will try to post a photo later.

It was real guuud.

I really like doing rolled pork loins. They're really good on a rotisserie as well. Stuffing is totally up to your taste. That said, technically that's not a porchetta. Porchetta preparation usually includes the belly with the skin on with the trick being getting that skin crackling dry. The Italians also use a fennel pollen in the roll up (not sure why) so again a true prochetta is different.

But I sure love the BBQ Pit Boys and what they created looked awesome to me. Wish you had posted yours.

Did this one a ways back, came out kinda good !!

A Porchetta (pronounced por-ketta) is yet another example of the national cuisine of Italy. Like the Filipino Lechon, it is a whole pig roasted over coals until the meat is done and

Comment

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I really wanted to get one with skin. Oh well.

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks terrific! Heads up, Jetro/R Depot in Secaucus and in Jersey City both have skin on pork belly.

Wow. I need to make one of these asap! Looks pretty easy. Also looks delish!!!

Comment

A few days late (but no dollars short) here's a picture of a leftover slice.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20210104_194549.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	968840

Comment

I’d eat it fer sure !!!

Comment

Nice Job, Brother!

Looks like a whole plate fulla Goodness, to me!

LOVES me some Wild Rice, don't rightly know why I ain't made some in quite awhile

Comment

• JCGrill
            JCGrill commented
            Editing a comment
            Head over to the Johnsonville web site and find the recipe for this rice, it's delicious.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, Brother!
            I dang sure will!

I made this a few months ago. It was gorgeous but the fat on mine didn't render out. I got it to temp, but there were big rings of unappetizing unmelted blubber. The skin didn't crisp either. It was tough leathery armadillo husk. Making another pass at a Porchetta today to see if I can get this right.

Comment

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            Cover the skin in lots of salt and leave uncovered in the fridge for 2 days to dry it out. Crank your oven or pit hot as it will go for the first 20 mins of the cook to set the crackle, then back it down to 250 for rest of cook.

This time it came out much better. I did salt as you suggested. The skin on this belly wasn't nearly as tough as the last one. I got the needle right through it. When I got them out of the oven I deep frying them skin in lard for a few minutes .They puffed right up. Scary to do, but the results were amazing. Thin crispy and delicious outer coating and juicy inside. Not a scrap leftover.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks perfect. Didn't get my invite ;(

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            A thing of beauty is a joy forever!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here