Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for getting more smokiness into pork shoulder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

To answer a few questions:

- I use the Maverick ET732 to measure the meat and grill temps;
    - Gas vs charcoal: I live in a townhouse community with integrated natural gas hookups, but charcoal grills are not allowed. So gas is my only choice.
    - I haven't tried mesquite yet as it seemed that the conventional wisdom was it was overpowering -- but given the lack of smokiness I've achieved so far, maybe mesquite is the way to go.
    - Both butts I've used have been about 3 inches thick.
    - Yes, being a gas grill, the Spirit is pretty open to ventilation.

But now I've got a bunch of things to try next time:
    - Mesquite
    - Chunks instead of chips
    - Start with cold, wet meat
    - Smoked paprika -- I'd been using MMD, but could up the paprika content and find a smoked variety
    - Was unaware of Amazen products before now so will check them out
    - Will check out Dr. Blonder's site

I'll keep you guys updated as I try these tips. Thanks again!

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      There are a bunch of things you can try. But keep in mind, you should only change one thing at a time if you want to follow the scientific method. I hope you're hungry or have some friends to invite over.

Since the gas grills are very leaky (by design), you might want to shift around where you place the meat, and where you place the smoker box. It's possible the smoke is only brushing by the meat and going straight out the holes. There won't be a perfect place to put the meat, but you can try to move the meat into the smoke path, without placing it directly on top of it. Also, if you're not getting smoke out at all, make sure you are using the burner closest to the smoker box. Sometimes just using the indirect heat of the grill wont get the wood going.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here