Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tender 3" pork chops.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tender 3" pork chops.

Good morning. I'm looking for input, advice / tips on how to get a 3" bone-in pork chops with very tender meat yet nicely seared crust. Ive been cooking these at 230 to approx 130 degrees internal, then searing outside to 150 internal. Is there a way to get pork butt tender chops, almost falling off the bone? Any advice greatly appreciated. Using 22'' Weber Performer with Slow N Sear insert and water in barrier trough. No problem with the taste. I have them seasoned really nice. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

I take it you don't have a SV? If so, this:

Comment

I think you are going too high with internal temp. Try 140*
    Last edited by HawkerXP; November 11, 2020, 01:43 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      My thoughts exactly. I don't ever go over 140* with pork, in fact I pull it at 135ish and let it drift up to that mark on the cutting board. Tender as a baby's bottom. Love big, thick chops like the one in your pic above.

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      135F for me.. Also many times the bigger older pigs have better marbling on them ... (older with lots of fat marbling much like many of you here

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahumadora
      You've just given me an idea for a new T-shirt meme:
      "I'm not fat. I'm just well-marbled."

You can have fall off the bone overcooked and fall off the bone tender. I've had many pork butts that were overcooked and the meat mushy (fall off the bone). Personally, I would dry brine your 3" chops for about 4-5 hours, then season (no salt) and either front sear or reverse sear. I don't SV (where is the fun in that??). You could always brown your chops and put them in a crock pot for cooking. You'll get fall off the bone texture.

Comment

• Swug
      Swug commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I know exactly what you are referring to. Just like ribs that break in half when you lift them, that's overdone in my book. Id prefer tender yet not falling off the bone. I should've been more specific. Sorry for the confusion.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1593109C-6812-4CB0-90FD-34995F549D9F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.68 MB ID:	938008Click image for larger version  Name:	18139023-FD33-4F62-B91E-4498DD105DBD.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.53 MB ID:	938007 I did these chops last week. I just hit them with an all purpose bbq rub about an hour before cooking. Smoked at 250 on the pellet smoker until IT of 145. That’s it. Sauce on the side. Very juicy and tender. Just delicious.
    Last edited by Jfrosty27; November 11, 2020, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Try injecting with a bit of beer and olive oil

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, beer--PBR, coconut oil,
        I started using coconut oil almost tasteless.
        What a good idea. Should have thought of that myself. beer and oil injection.

• Swug
        Swug commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds promising. Will try. Thanks.

Try wrapping at 150df and finish when probe tender, rest for a few.

Comment

Look wonderful. Did some this weekend about that thickness. Took to 145 and also made some gravy Looks great!

Comment

I love some thick-cut chops. Really the only way to have them, in my opinion.

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            Wait, what? Are you saying they come another way? Say it isn’t so! LOL

This channel is now supposed to be restricted to "Recipes Only." There is a Read This First post at the top of the channel which explains in detail what to do. Questions about technique, etc., liked this one, are supposed to go here. I think this thread should be re-directed.

Huskee
          Last edited by Dewesq55; November 13, 2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Work in progress. We don't have all the separate channels for beef, pork, baking, Mexican, etc in the Food Discussion section. I'm working with Mh on how best to address this.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here