Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork loin ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork loin ideas?

I bought a 6.5 lb pork loin at the store yesterday. I'm going to cure a couple pounds worth for back bacon and cut some boneless loin chops, but that's going to leave me with a couple of pounds left.

So, the question is: What do I do with it? Butterfly and stuff if for a Roulade? Sure, OK. Wrap it in bacon and smoke? Yeah, alright. Basically all the "normal" stuff is an option, but kinda boring.

So, the question is: Any of y'all got something interesting for me?

I like to do them in about a 1.5 pound bacon wrap.
    Add a small can of chunked up pineapple under the wrap.
    NO higher than 145 IT.

Comment

I like the roulade idea. I tried to make a southwestern roulade earlier this year and didn’t have the greatest success with presentation but the flavor was dynamite! Went with green chile, cheese and something else in the mixture?? I don’t remember right now, but it’s a roulade but something a bit different with the ingredients.

Or, make some stuffed Cuban pork chops - pork, ham, Swiss, pickle with some spicy mayo. And some black beans and rice.

that’s all I got for now. But, the both have me thinking of going out and getting some ingredients!

have fun with whatever you come up with!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I remember that in the virtual competition. I thought the idea was fantastic. I really think you should tackle it again and publish a recipe for it.

barelfly Oh, I like the cubano idea. That might happen, I'm having ideas.

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Nailed it!

Heck, make some Cuban sandwiches if you have enough!

I like to take the half loin, season it with bbq rub of your choice, wrap in thin sliced bacon, then rotisserie on my gasser. So good.

Comment

• tiewunon
        tiewunon commented
        Editing a comment
        I like this idea. To take it up a notch more lard the pork loin with veggies, prosciutto or such. If you do not have a larding iron use a knife or sharpening steel.

One of my favorite ways to cook a pork loin roast has nothing to do with my BBQ.

I’ll first tie it to make it a uniform thickness.

Next I’ll coat it with my pork dust which is just equal parts of salt, pepper, sage, rosemary and thyme.

Then into a pan on the stove at medium high with olive oil to brown all sides and both ends.

After it’s got some good color on it I’ll empty one drained can of sauerkraut into a loaf pan, place the pork loin on top of the kraut and then place another drained can of sauerkraut on top to fully encapsulate the pork loin in kraut.

Bake in a 325 degree oven until your desired doneness is achieved and serve with mashed potatoes and green beans sautéed in bacon fat and garlic.

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, you need some apfel kraut to go with that pork loin! Another great idea here!

Porchetta. But you need to wrap it inside pork belly. Basically butterfly it, rub the interior with spices, plop it on top of a belly that has also been rubbed with spices, roll it all up. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5qJ3MAPxS8 for inspiration

Comment

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        If it was skin on Porchetta would be the play, but... I wonder how much pork skin I have in the freezer..

Google Chris Lilly apple bourbon bbq sauce and enjoy.

Comment

I just throw some rub on the sucker and throw it on the grill. Indirect heat at 250-275 until you hit ~140-145 internal. Then glaze it with some sauce and let it go until it hits 150 degrees. Slice and enjoy.

Comment

Pork Shogayaki, very simple but very satisfying. We make this a couple of times a month. https://www.justonecookbook.com/ginger-pork-shogayaki/

Comment

Lots of good ideas already but my 2 cents worth is only-DON'T OVERCOOK! 140-145 is the sweet spot IMO.

Comment

• Skip
              Skip commented
              Editing a comment
              Something I like once in awhile is a Cranberry/Brown Sugar sauce served on the side.

Flatten,bread and fry for some pork schnitzel

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
              Sweaty Paul commented
              Editing a comment
              Or flatten a few and make elephant ear pork tenderloin sandwiches!

I can’t remember the exact recipe, but check out Harry Soo’s website.

Comment

Here is one I liked:
                  5.0 from 1 reviews Barbecued Spiral Stuffed Pork Loin w/ Bratwurst, Apples, and Walnuts   Print Prep time 45 mins Cook t

Comment

Honey glazed! Only take it off around 140* not the 160* they say.
                I wanted something different for a cookout. This is so good, if you're having company, you'd better fix two. It's butterflied, so it increases marinat

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here