Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I just wasted 3 lbs of pork belly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I just wasted 3 lbs of pork belly

I went to smoke 3 lbs of pork belly for bacon per MH recipe on this site and two hours after putting in the smoker it was only at 140. I had failed to reset the thermostat (electric smoker) so it was set at 140. I cranked it to 225 and about 20-25 minutes later it was up to 150. My concern is that it was in the smoker for two hours at such a low temp. Should I just pitch it?

I'm no expert but I think after it gets over 160° for a short period of of time any bacteria that may have been present on the surface of your meat will be eliminated. I say cook on!
    Last edited by Breadhead; July 1, 2015, 01:02 PM.

Comment

As Wartface says if the concern is bacteria it will be long gone. I started pork butts yesterday and they took 3 hours to get to an IT of 140, nothing bad about that at all. I did have to toss some chucks after my fridge went down on me, but those were in the 50 degree range for 24 hours, that's too much.

Comment

Well, I decided to give it a go and fried up 4 slices today. Status update in 24 hours

Comment

Hope everything comes out all right, @ Dr ROK.

Kathryn

Comment

131 degrees for one hour pasteurizes food. You should be fine.
            Plus you used Prague right?
            Last edited by Ernest; July 1, 2015, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Well, 24 hours later and no gastrointestinal distress, and the best bacon I've made so far. Glad I didn't throw it out!!!!!

Comment

It takes 25hrs to attack your innards. (j/k)

Comment

• Dr ROK
                  Dr ROK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've cleared that time frame too Huskee! It's ironic, but my wife and daughter have both been suffering from "stomach flu" and they haven't been eating my bacon, but I'm the only one so far who hasn't caught the bug. Must be that good bacon!

" I think I just wasted 3 lbs of pork belly" I read that and thought you had given it to your brother in law... now THAT would be wasting it

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here