Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Loin Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Loin Jerky

Local market had loins on sale for $1.89 / pound, so I bought two and decided to use one for a try at making jerky.

Did two different marinades, only slightly different from one another. Base was soy sauce and Worcestershire in both. Difference was garlic, ground pepper, and lime juice in one while the other had extra hot jerk seasoning and a blended can of pineapple. Used some curing salt in the marinade as well.

Cooked it for about 4.5 hours @ 170 on my Mak. Taste came out good, but texture was hit and miss. I struggled in cutting uniformly thin slices, even after throwing the trimmed loin in the freezer to harden it up. So some pieces came out a little thicker than I wanted....more along the lines of a jerky/meatchunk hybrid.

If I'm going to get into making more jerky in the future, I may invest in a slicer of some sort. Anyone have advice on getting better, more consistent slices?

Overall, I'd label this as a sorta kinda okay result. Happy with the taste, but I failed in the slicing of the pieces. Figured I'd share successes as well as failures.

I tried some pork jerky a few months back, flavor was good but I didn't like the texture if it, maybe none of it's good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here