Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fall off the bone boston butts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall off the bone boston butts

How do you get "fall off the bone" ribs? Mine are great but have just a little too much tug and I want more "fall off the bone". Use a gas grill, can get temps down around 225 to 235. Have tried Blasphemy ribs several times with good success. Always appreciate the assistance this site gives me. Thanks in advance.

You're talking ribs here, not butts? For fall of the bone ribs, they need to be overcooked. The easiest way would be to wrap the racks of ribs, singly, in foil. Ever hear of the 3-2-1 method? If not, that means smoke them nekkid 3 hrs to get the smoke flavor and help build a little bark, then wrap tightly in foil for 2 hrs (sometimes with some butter/margarine and brown sugar) then unwrap and go nekkid the last hour. The foil phase helps to sort of braise them, helping soften them, and the last hour helps build the bark back up. You could do the foil phase as long as you needed to get them as soft as you'd like. The sky's the limit!

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      + 1 remember you need to cook them for 6 hours.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on this advice. If using thinner baby backs, you might adjust it to a 2-2-1 method, but 3-2-1 is what used to work for me with spare ribs.

The main thing you need is patience. Time is what gets them tender. However, as described above by Huskee wrapping with some sort of liquid helps greatly.

Comment

Cook hot and get them really dark. I run 275-300-F with Meathead's Memphis Dust and after passing "no doubt bend test" I apply cold BBQ sauce and cook until it gets reduced or starts to bubble a lot.

Comment

Just cook em a little longer. A little too much tug means they’re not quite done.

Comment

Easy to get fall of the bone ribs. Just boil them or cook them in a crock pot.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Ex-stepdaughter cooked ribs wrapped in foil in a 350 convection commercial oven. I literally just pulled the bones out and had full intact boneless racks.

• TripleB
            TripleB commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like you could make homemade McRib sandwiches.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Someone flag this post! Quick! The terrorists have won!

Thanks! Will add a little time to my cooks. As always, appreciate the assistance. Have a great labor day!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here