Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duroc Pork Chops in an Offset Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duroc Pork Chops in an Offset Smoker

Esteemed pit masters, I cooked up one of my favorites: 5 Pork chops, no, make that 5 Duroc Pork Chops in my offset smoker. I absolutely loooove cooking them altogether, makes for an insanely juicy end result. Plus, oak wood is basically the royal treatment for these bad boys. I applied my Fish Bait Rub which is herbacious, based on Lime pepper. Pork loves citrus after all.

There was a glorious fat cap, but no skin. I applied a dry brine early in the morning. I then applied a rub in the afternoon. I fired up my offset smoker 'Rude Boy' and ran it at 250-260° F. The cook took a little longer than I expected, 1:30-1:40 hours, but it was worth it in the end. All smoke, no sear, as it looked so dang good. Target temp: 62° C / 144° F.

When I carved them up they were just dripping with moisture, and the flavor was out of this world. Did I say I love pork?!

Here's the raw meat. Check out that fat cap!

Click image for larger version

Name:	offsetsmoker-porkchops-1.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	890248

Same chops, with rub applied

Name:	offsetsmoker-porkchops-2.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	890250

Here's a 'done' shot, love the 'bark' on the fat cap:

Name:	offsetsmoker-porkchops-4.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	890251

And after first slice, just drippin' - love it!

Name:	offsetsmoker-porkchops-3.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	890249

Alright folks, Hank is out!!

Yum.

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...
      Looks just mint

Comment

Henrik Your Fish Bait, rub will they be getting some soon?
        Amazon: Currently unavailable.
        We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes of course. I’m shipping, but COVID is completely wreaking havoc with all planning. Hopefully they will be available soon again.

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Henrik Thanks. Yes shipping is way slow these days. Like a trip back to the 50's

That looks marvelous! That's how we used to get pork when we were kids.

Comment

Reckon, to be truthful. I'd'a been bout Half-Arsed-Pissed., er mebbe even More, if'n ya had cut off that beautimous fat cap, Brother!
          As it is; Very Nicely Done...

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
            Elton's BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Word!

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            If it were me: I would have made cracklings out of it. But, it was out of my hands. I did the best I could.

That looks great.

Both my parents were raised on farms in the '20s - '30s. Back then everything was cooked well done. I was an adult before I had anything cooked less than well done. Whatever meat I ate was so dry it sucked the moisture right out of my tongue.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Me three, yet we're all still here lol

Life is good, Brothers...
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 2, 2020, 01:27 PM.

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey, we all got feed many kids didn't so we should count are blessings

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            They was 11 of us kids, an I certainly Do count my Many Blessins, on a daily an ongoin basis, Brother...
            smokin fool

Henrik Those look amazing!! I just had a Duroc hog taken to our butcher last Monday and can’t wait for the meat! Several of our local 4H kids raise this heritage breed for showing at events so I can get these pretty much all year!

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            I have my order in for next year 4H. I may get some pork and / or beef this year if I'm lucky.

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Lucky you!

That's one hell of a good looking roast. I love the color on the fat, bet that was awesome in and of itself !!! Bravo Senor Henrik !!! Man I need some good pig soon !!!!

Name:	IMG_2584.GIF
Views:	172
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	890412

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you my man! You’re the one who led me on to Duroc!

Henrik between you and Troutman doing these cooks you do I should be having my first stroke any moment now, but it'll be worth it....
          Really nice job on those chops, I'd be all over those.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, as long as it’s worth it . On a more serious note, I’d hate to see that happening. At least without tasting the real product

Beautiful! Well done!

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you!

Hungry!

Comment

Superb, Henrik! We have a local specialty meat shop here (don't know yet if they are actually butchers) who tells me they carry Duroc. I've been resisting because of the price but you have convinced me I have to go for it, at least once. Thanks.

But I'd have to look at the fat cap first.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here