Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork shoulder question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork shoulder question.

Summer has arrived here in Avondale AZ, (104 degrees today), which means the WSM smoker has been stored away until October. I still like to do as much homework as I can to prepare myself for the time when I can pull it out dust it off and start smoking again. My question is if the rule of thumb is a pork shoulder should take about 1 ½ hour per pound to cook @225-250 degrees which means a 7 pound shoulder should take about 10 ½ hour to cook, how much longer would it take to cook two or three 7 pound shoulders together in a 18.5 WSM. The same time?

That hours per pound doesn't really work, it is all about the thickness, but for a butt that size, that time seems reasonable. If they are all the same thickness then they should all be done in the same amount of time it takes to do one. The only thing adding more does is restrict airflow a little and increase the cold mass, all that means is you'll burn more coal to get the same temp. I cook 275 or so and it takes 10 hours for a 7 pounder, at 225 I would guess 12 but someone who cooks that low may give you a better number there.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here