Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen Butts?(hey I'm sitting here)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen Butts?(hey I'm sitting here)!

O.K. all of you "it's all been frozen" folks.I'm catering a wedding this weekend,when I went to Restaurant Depot they didn't have "fresh" bone in butts only frozen.They won't be thawed by Friday night when I need to start cooking,is this a concern?

They ought to be close though. Just plan on a couple of hours extra just in case.

Comment

Do you have the ability to thaw (still cryovacced) in cold water for a couple of hours? If so, unwrap and apply the rub and you should be golden.

Comment

There are a few threads on this site from people who have cooked from frozen with excellent results.
        Search is your friend, there should be a full write up on one of the threads.

Comment

You’ll be fine. You might be surprised at how close the timing will be to one that’s thawed. Someone recently just did a frozen and thawed pork butt challenge. They both finished really close to the same time if I remember correctly.

A couple of months ago I bought a 2-pack of butts and applied rub to both. One went in the smoker, and the other got tightly wrapped and bagged and into the deep freeze for two months. So today I needed to prepare two butts and decided to do a side by side comparison: fresh vs frozen. My IR thermometer told me the exterior of
          Last edited by Dadof3Illinois; July 24, 2020, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• bardsleyque
            bardsleyque commented
            Editing a comment
            thanks I'll see how this goes.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here