Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse crutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse crutch?

I’ve been reading and watching some videos about foiling ribs and steaming them first for about an hour, then finishing them on a smoker or live flame on a grill with rub or sauce as desired. Have any of you tried this? If so, how did they turn out?

Hmmm, interestin idea...
    Hadn't previous heared of it, but I imagine it would work...
    My onliest thoughts are: Meat absorbs smoke best while it is still at lower temperatures, so might not one find themselves with less smokey ribs, by preheatin th meat, prior to smoke exposure after unwrappin?
    I'd be interested in seein, an especially tastin ribs done in this fashion...
    Please let us know, if ya try this, help settle my curiosity.
    As ever, I am here to learn.

Comment

• Al S.
      Al S. commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, some of my concerns, too. Maybe up the smoke a little more, or if I do the live fire on a Santa Maria grill it would give it the flavor I want. Just wondering if anyone had success with it before ruining $30 worth of ribs!

I haven’t tried this method. But My understanding, for smoke to adhere to meat, the meat has to be cold. At a certain point, smoke stops adhering to the meat. So, that would be my one concern about getting a good smoke on them. If you aren’t worried about smoke, then finishing on a grill with rub/sauce, probably be ok. Only way to see if it works for you is to give it a shot.

Comment

Not with ribs but I do it with pork butts. I know it is not the traditional way but I've had many requests to make this for various functions: wrap in foil, 1 hour per pound at 275* then unwrap and onto the pit at 250* - 275* for some smoke for 1 - 1 1/2 hours. It turns out very tender and I use the juices in the foil for beans or something else. No smoke ring though.

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        You could taste the smoke but maybe not as strongly as most people would like. I did let the smoke get a little dirty to get more smokiness in a short time - gotta watch and make sure you don't get the really bitter billowing white smoke though. I use my kamado and chips and chunks for this. Chips give a good fast burst of smoke then its gone so it doesn't get overdone - I toss some on three or four times. A chunk or two on the fire gives continuous good smoke.
        Last edited by 58limited; June 28, 2020, 08:42 AM.

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        I also inject the butt with a brine a night or two before cooking (i do this when smoking traditionally too). You can add liquid smoke to the brine to up the smoke flavor. Brine: in a measuring cup add 1/8 cup salt and 1/8 cup sugar. Bring to the 2 cup level with 50% water and 50% apple cider vinegar. Inject into pork butt, this volume does two to three 8-10 lb butts.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Precite yer sharin yer methodology, an yer brine receipt, Brother. I don't do neither, historically, wih pork butts.
        Still, cut n pasted to notepad, fer mebbe a rainy day.

While there is no complaint as to tenderness I know boiling ribs first changes the taste of the meat. I am sure wrapping them first gets them tender and speeds up the process, but I am wondering if it to will change the taste of the meat, also. As others have mentioned it will be difficult to attract smoke and a smoke ring.

Comment

• Al S.
        Al S. commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t think wrapping s the same as boiling, it’s just done at a different time in the cooking process so hopefully it won’t have the same effect as boiling (which I would NEVER do).

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        10-4 my mother used to boil our ribs, I swore I would never do that

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        I echo yer concerns fer both th taste, an also texture.
        I'm hopin somebody(ies) else does th testin here, an reports back, as I'm quite pleased with my rib results, an have no desire to personally try this.
        Ain't sayin it's a Bad Thing, mebbe it makes th Best Ribs Ever....
        But I ain't gonna be th one to discover that. I'll leave th Glory to others...

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here