Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork butt hot and fast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork butt hot and fast?

Ok so I’m watching an episode of Man Fire Food on the Cooking Channel. A restaurant In FL called Georgia Pig does pork shoulders hot and fast. Basically grilling over a direct wood fire at 500 * plus. No seasoning at all. Has a garden hose more or less near buy to control flare ups. Done in "2-4 hrs" they said. The show host raved about it served as a sandwich. Really? Anybody tried this? If I hadn’t seen it, I would nor believe it.

I am sure you can do this with the most forgiving piece of meat I know, but I wouldn’t expect much smoke flavor or a smoke ring. Not to mention that I don’t want to work that hard for 2-4 hours. I prefer to put mine on at 225 and let it cook overnight while I sleep.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed. Too much work to keep the thing from turning into coal for your next fire!

Sounds like fun and would make for great entertainment for the "tube." As mentioned above, I do most of my smoking while I slumber.

Comment

Seems like the radiation coming off the direct coals would wreak havoc with the side that's exposed to it. In other words, I would think the bottom would be inedible because it would be burned. But maybe that's not the case.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        On the show the guy said he tends it constantly, turning, flipping, and spraying with water to prevent the burn up. What a pain.

File this under "I don't want to wait. I WANT MY FOOD NOW".

Comment

If you don't want smoke flavor and you want it done fast, just pop it in the oven.

The thing to realize about that is it's great... TV. It's ridiculous as an actual cooking technique though.

Comment

Well, that about covers the Man Fire Food as well as anything can. I mean, the recipe is right there in the title of the show.

Comment

While MFF is one of my current favorite cooking shows (it feels like the old school food show stuff before FOOD got super popular), the host is alot like Guy on DDD. These hosts enjoy food and want to highlight other cooks and companies, they aren't going to say anything bad about any place they visit or any food they eat.

Comment

Actually I just watched a Harry Soo You Tube video on this very thing. He smoked hot and fast (not grilled) using 3 almost identical pork butts. One with his typical pork rub and Kosmos injection (what I use), one Texas style with salt and pepper and one nekkid all the way. He explained that a lot of restaurants cook it that way and swear by it. It's smoke, meat and fire...period. At the end he cut he money muscles off each butt, carved them and taste tested each one. In his opinion at least, he actually liked the nekkid one the best. Close second was the injected/rubbed version.

Grilling at 500* would certainly promote the start of the milliard reaction but quickly turn to char if you didn't watch it very carefully. I'm not doubting its a viable method, would have to do the Harry Soo taste test to be sure.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here