Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ham - Texture Next to the Bone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ham - Texture Next to the Bone.

145* F is the safe temp, sure, but my experience with pre-cooked hams is that although 'fully cooked' and reheated to 145*F, they almost always have a real fleshy (reminds me of something raw) texture right up next to the bone. I personally find that disgusting. Certainly I am not the only one who has run across this.

For that reason, I typically just completely overcook them. 180*F or higher would not be uncommon for me. If it is a fatty ham, no big deal. It doesn't really get dry. Besides, I kind of like a hearty crust on a ham, and a bit of texture.

I would like to know though, what is the temp the ham needs to be taken to in order to get rid of that 'fleshy' texture next to the bone. If anyone knows, please give it a shout out.

I've actually got four butt sections on the HB right now. I guess I could start pulling them off in 10* increments, and see what the status of each is, after a rest. It would be much easier to just take them to where they need to go for the proper texture though, and not have to worry about not getting any of them to where I like them.

Thanks in advance...

I've never experienced this, the closest I've come when curing my own hams when I first started doing so was not letting it stay in the cure for long enough and winding up with some kind of grey looking, uncured meat close to the bone. I've never seen this in a commercial ham that I've double-smoked however.

Comment

I pulled the four hams off at various temps from 155 to 175*. My preference on texture near the bone was actually the 275*, although as the texture improved steadily, at 155 there was still a decent amount of that slimier (although a deep pink in color) type texture. I don't think the meat further away from the bone suffered any ill affects from going that high... so I'll be shooting for 175* at least.

Comment

Most usually, whenever I've smoked me up some ham(s), they end up chopped, or steaked out, an I cain't never recall seein no difference, tastewise, or texturewise, as they was used....
        Sorry I ain't of no help, in this particular instance. My Bad.

Comment

What I've been doing lately is to soak the ham overnight, then make cuts into the meat. Then, season with MMD and smoke to about 145. No difference near the bone. Actually the last one I did I deboned the meat before making my cuts and seasoning. The texture and smoke flavor were beyond my expectations. I'd recommend you try it!

Comment

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd like to see that cook!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here