Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Green Tea Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Green Tea Pork

Trying to emulate Kahlua Pork. Disclaimer: The pork was not baked in an imu underground, nor was it wrapped in Banana leaves or Ti leaves. So this is not your traditional Kahlua pork. I love chicken/beef bowls, so this was right down my alley.

I used a 4 lb. boneless pork butt that was dry brined for 12 hours. I then rubbed the pork with green tea, brown sugar and pepper (3 Tbsp Gr. Tea, 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar and 2 tsp freshly cracked pepper). Wrapped in plastic wrap and placed in the refrigerator for 24 hours.

I smoked it on my Jambo offset (to get as much smoke as possible) for 2 hours using pecan and peach wood (no reason for this combo, just using up the last of my peach splits). Then double wrapped with Al foil and put in the oven at 325 d. Pork reached 190 d in about 3.5 hours. Wrapped in towels and placed in a cooler for 3 hours.

I served it over rice, with steamed cabbage and potato salad. Drizzled teriyaki sauce and a vinegar cilantro sauce over the pork and cabbage. The vinegar (acid) really helped the pork flavor to pop.

It came out FANTASTIC!! but different. Not your typical smoked pork. You'd think the pork would have a herbaceous, tea flavor. But it did not. The pork flavor came out clean, fresh as though the Green Tea acted as a purifier. The juice was jet black, but again tasted fresh and natural with a hint of smoke. And the meat was not overcooked or mushy. I made sure I kept the Money Muscle in this cut and the bite was perfect.

Sorry for the lousy pics. It does not look that appetizing. Cinematography is not my forte. Need to take a class from Troutman.
    Attached Files

Wow. Love it. Going to have to try that one. Soon. Sounds amazing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    Rubs Promo
    Meat-Up in Memphis