Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long to let rub work on ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to let rub work on ribs

Got three racks of spare ribs to smoke Sunday, today is Friday and they appear to have almost deforested. Is there any benefit or harm in preparing them early and giving them overnight to sit with rub on them? Was thinking of removing Membrane, then adding my rub day before but nor sure if thats a good or bad idea. Comments? TIA!

Some people don't rub their ribs or PBs until about 4-5 hours before putting them on the smoker. I like to do the rubbing the night before and I always remove the membrane. Some people will also say rubbing them the night before doesn't add any more flavor than if you rub them 4 hrs before cooking but to me it does. But hey that's just me.

Comment

Great, thanks for that. Since I have the luxury of time, I'm going to give them overnight with the rub. And I always remove the membrane. Each time it gets easier to do and I see no reason not to do this.

Comment

I've done overnight and right before. Couldn't really tell a difference. I got two racks of St. Louis going right now that got rubbed as the kettle was heating up.

Comment

I agree with Jerod, regarding ribs. The only exception being thick baby backs. I did two thick racks of BBs last Saturday, the rub was on them about an hour as the Yoder heated up. The meat was noticeably more bland in the deeper parts of those thick mamas. Granted, I applied my rub a little thinner since my kids don't care for spicy and my rub if applied heavily can be a tad spicy (which is why my recipe calls for the brown sugar topper, it's all part of the total package). But I never notice a difference when doing St Louis- I did 2 racks of them just Wednesday. Monster 3.5lb+ racks, same thing- rub was on roughly 1-1.5hrs. Yummmm.

What we need to remember here is that it's not the rub that matters, it's the salt. If you're using a salted rub, give them the following time minimal: Thick ribs- give them overnight. Regular ribs/thin tibs- give them 1-4 hrs (but overnight won't hurt). If you're dry brining, do this same things with just salt. Then add the rub 10 seconds before you put them on the smoker.

Pork butts always get the overnight to 48hr treatment. Thick blobs just need salt time.
          Last edited by Huskee; May 22, 2015, 03:31 PM.

Comment

After removing the silver skin, I dry brine, usually overnight, then slather in mustard for at least 24 hours so the vi gear works on the fat. I add the rub as the smoker heats up.

Comment

The molecules in rubs are too big to penetrate very far at all. Salt does penetrate well which is why AR suggests dry bring 24-48 hours in advance.

Comment

During a wet brine (more a marinade) whenever doing it overnight or right away, I feel a HUGE difference. Overnight is definitely better. An hour before smoking them i coat them with Memphis Dust.
                Usually I remove the membrane and just drawn them in a bottle of "Strong garlic VH sauce" overnight

Comment

I've done as long as 24 hours and as short as 1 hour, and am unable to tell the difference. I have marinated and not, and am unable to tell the difference. The only thing I have ever done that make a difference is brining, and it was bloody awful, so I have to assume that either A) everyone else's taste buds are faulty, or B) I screwed something up.

The latter seems more likely!

Comment

• Lost in China
                    Lost in China commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Did you add an equal amount of sugar as salt?

• Usernamevalid
                    Usernamevalid commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Beats me, it was a recipe I found and tried once and never again. It was a while ago so I can't recall.

I have the same experience. Salt in advance, rub whenever.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here