Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How bad of an idea is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How bad of an idea is this?

So last week I filtered the wrapping juices from a couple pork butts, skimmed them and ended up with quite a bit of what appears to be grape jelly but tastes like awesome.
    I want to try at least one of the following 3 things on a cook tomorrow, if it matters the butts i'm cooking are for someone else other than my tasting
    1. Melt this back down to a liquid, cover a butt and smoke. This has some fat, lots of salt and rub, if I do this should it be just before or let it sit overnight, knowing that it will be a jello covered hunk of meat by morning.
    2. Melt it and put it on a rack of ribs for testing before trying on a butt. No plans to have ribs, but it is an option. Same timing questions as above.
    3. Melt it and inject into one of the pork butts, rub as usual.
    4. All of the above.
    Opinions, thoughts, and recommendations welcome.

My first thought is bacteria, but I'm no expert.

Comment

Nah won't have any of that at temps i'll be doing.

Comment

My apologies if you already know, but the jelly consistency is just from the fat in the mix cooling with the other components and solidifying. Like bacon grease.

You should heat until warm enough to return to liquid and inject about an hour before cooking it. Pouring over the top seems like it would not have much impact other than aiding any dry seasonings in coming off. With ribs, you could smoke first and add a little jelly to some foil and wrap, but the ribs may turn too soft if you use too much. You could also heat and add butter to make a spread for some kick ass grilled French bread.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Collagen probably contributes more to the jelly texture, but the fat don't help solidify things either.

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          The "jelly" is in fact, gelatin which is produced when collagen is cooked. Same as the stuff that makes Jello jiggle....

You could turn this into an awesome base for a BBQ sauce or a mop as well. Heat it up, skim off most of the fat, taste it, then add spices as needed... personally I'd go with garlic, cumin, and oregano as a starter and salt of course. If you were making BBQ sauce add whatever BBQ sauce base you like (tomato, vinegar, mustard, or mayo). I bet it'd be rad!

Comment

Well I did 2 things, first I injected one of the butts, once melted it seemed just too good to not try it. I was doing some sandwiches and making some chipotle mayo to go with it and added about a tablespoon to that, was very excellent. I'll let you know how the butts turn out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here