Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windsor Loin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windsor Loin?

Pork loin is CHEAP right now. I want to find more great ways to cook it!

I want to cure a pork loin, then smoke it. But I don't think I want canadian bacon... I want Windsor Loin

My Mother in Law makes what she calls "Windsor Loin" for holidays, and I would like to try to replicate that. She purchases it cured with the bones cut, then she roasts it with a cherry sauce.

I understand
    that my version will be boneless. It turns out I may order a special bone in loin for the 4th of July.

The curing recipes I find are for Canadian Bacon. Will they work? Other ideas? TIA!

Never heard of Windsor Loin, but if it is a cured pork loin it sounds just like canadian bacon cooked like a roast. Not much on Google. Curing is curing. Pork loin is pork loin. Smoking is smoking. I'd do my canadian bacon recipe and then you can cut it into chops to grill.

Comment

Google doesn't always have all the answers unfortunately as much as I love google... From what i found it is smoked pork loin chops no mention of a cure:

just a couple..
      nothing on wiki either
      You should try Meathead's suggestion of canadian bacon cure it should work. Let us know how it turned out ....

Comment

My Pink #1 arrives Thursday... I will get it curing and let you know after the cook.

Comment

Did some more research over the weekend from my mother in law's "Nebraska Porkette's" cookbook published in 1971. I am curing it more like a ham, then smoking it.

Went in the cure last night. Plan on smoking it on the 5th of June.

Comment

I smoked the loin on Saturday.

It was in the cure for 10 days, in water for 1 day.

I used my neighbors Traeger Lil Tex. (I have a GMG DB at home, so it was similar.)

Started on smoke for 2 Hours, then 200-225 until the internal temp was 155. Which was another 3 hours.

It turned out pretty good. Initially I thought it was a little bland, but I warmed up to it.

My in-laws, (who are life long hog farmers and pork eaters), said it was perfect. Particularly on Sunday when I re-heated it on the Weber Gasser. They are not fans of the newer industrial cure tactics that seem to be saltier.

I am doing a full bone in standing rib roast for the 4th of July. I will update the

Comment

Cured the beast, then Smoked last night to 160. Going to reheat on Sunday with Cherry Sauce.

Comment

oh, that is pretty

Comment

IT WAS FANTASTIC!! My father in law was in heaven. One of the best birthday dinners he has ever had... Which is saying something. He is 75 tomorrow.

Reheated it today in a cooking bag of with cherry sauce on top. SOOOO GOOD! Could cut with a fork, and the flavor was just right... Not too salty!

[/URL]

Comment

That rib roast looks pretty darn good! Great job!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here