Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs are ready too early! HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs are ready too early! HELP!

I have cooked the Last Meal Ribs probably a dozen times on my trusty Weber Spirit E-210. I have the zones set up exactly perfect and I know exactly how to keep the temperature right at 225 for hours and hours. I recently switched where I buy my meat though from the commercial Smithfield St. Louis ribs that are available literally everywhere to some fresh St. Louis ribs from Whole Foods that thde last time I used them were so good that I couldn't stand the idea of going back to the Smithfield. The Whole Foods (locally produced) ribs took longer last time, and were much meatier than the others (which I took to be the reason for the extra time). So today, I put on two slabs, and allowed for a 6-7 hour cook time, but lo and behold, after only 4 and a half hours, they appear to be ready! (Not just done, but READY! The crack test almost had one slab splitting apart into two pieces!). One of the slabs is meant as a surprise present for a friend's birthday, which is today, but I can't take it over there until 6:00! I have now refilled the water tray and reduced the heat to where it is maintaining at 200, but my question is, will they dry out and overcook in two hours being "held" at 200 in the covered Spirit with the moist air? Is there a better way to hold them? In the oven? In foil? (I resist the foil idea, but you tell me - I don't want steamed ribs, obviously). So what do I do? Is everything going to be okay, or have I blown it? And when should I glaze them with some wonderful (yet subtle) homemade sauce? I presume I should still wait until just before I take them over. HELP!
    Attached Files

(In the first hour, the smoke wood I used underneath caught fire briefly, which is why one edge of a slab is slightly charred. It might be the reason for them being done early , but the temperature never got over 250 even with the brief fire)

Comment

Drop down to 140F If you can't go that llow wrap them in cooler

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        That would be my best thought, too.

My Weber won't get down below 200. My oven's lowest setting is 150. By cooler, do you mean or them in the fridge and warm them up in the oven later just before I take them over? Or is 150 close enough? No foil, right?

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Beers coolers work in reverse . (You can keep things warm in them) Let them cool a bit before putting them in there or they will keep cooking with their own mass of heat.

No, cooler like you put drinks in on a picnic. Wrap ribs in foil, wrap foil in towels, put in cooler.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        This will hold the ribs above the danger temp until you are ready.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        better yet. Stick in your foil pan add a little apple juice or apple cider vinegar or nothing wrap the top with foil and put in oven at lowest setting.

Got it! Don't have a cooler (crazy, I know) but the oven is very well insulated. So it can act like one! I already heated it to 150 though so I'm letting the heat out with the door open. I have the ribs in there on a baking sheet with a rack, and tented with foil. I think this will work. Thanks for all the help! . I'll sauce them just before I take them over so that will reheat them a bi . I think they should be fine. She's not expecting anything so I think she'll be pretty thrilled regardless. I really appreciate all the advice! (I probably would have just left them on at 200 for another two hours and ended up with shoe leather!)

Comment

I've held ribs wrapped in foil for several hours in a warm oven. 150 is fine - just turn it on to that temp and leave it.

Comment

How did they turn out?

Comment

Eat em & cook more fer yer friend.

Comment

Wrap in foil tightly. In oven at 200.once the oven is at 200, check with digital thermometer turn off. They'll stay hot and moist.

Comment

I was thinking faux cambro

Comment

• Ahumadora
                  Ahumadora commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You need to change your name, your not a noob anymore... turning into a veteren smoker....

• smokenoob
                  smokenoob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  kind words....
                  If a stick smokes in the woods and it did not cook meat, did it really smoke?

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here