Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making bacon- is it possible to use Morton tender quick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making bacon- is it possible to use Morton tender quick?

I have been trying to get everything together to make bacon. I had thought I could get Prague powder in some local store but had absolutely no luck. While doing searches online I saw that Morton's tender quick came up a few times so I bought it. Now I'm worried that if I use it my bacon will be really salty and I might be asking for all sorts of other problems.

Can I use it and if so- what adjustments do I have to make?
    Attached Files

Morton itself does not recommend it for use on pork bellies or bacon.
    ”We cannot recommend Morton Tender Quick for use with pork belly or bacon. Due to the differing fat content of individual cuts, the curing time for these items may vary significantly. For this reason, we cannot recommend the appropriate amount of Tender Quick or curing time in this application.”
    Last edited by Donw; March 22, 2020, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• Smokerstoker
      Smokerstoker commented
      Editing a comment
      I should probably just find something else to do with it. The Prague powder is only going to get here next Saturday.

Burnt ends, you can never go wrong with burnt ends.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      This is the way to go until you can get Prague Powder

I tried to figure this out a while ago also. Ratios weren’t right.

in any case

This rich and flavor packed tested recipe for our smoked pork belly version of the classic Vietnamese banh mì sandwich is sure to make your knees buckle. The recipe hits all the right notes for a perfect banh mì, including succulent BBQ pork belly burnt ends, spicy jalapeños, savory mayo, and tangy pickled veggies.

Comment

It's only about 1/12th the potency of Prague powder for nitrite, (0.5% compared to 6% in pp)

Comment

Freeze your belly till Friday then proceed with Prague powder when it arrives.

Comment

Use the tenderquick to make pastrami. Make pork belly burnt ends with the slab.

Comment

The bacon recipe here is carefully crafted with safety in mind. I wouldn't mess with that at all.

Comment

Yeah while reading up on it I saw how dangerous it could be the mess with the recipe. I've decided to freeze the pork belly and give it a shot this weekend. Although in the near future I'm really going to want to try to bahn mi recipe.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here