Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork Cooking Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Pork Cooking Time

Hello all, long time reader but first time poster. Having 10-12 adults over for Mothers Day/Daughters 9th birthday. Wife wants to plan on eating @ Noon and really wants pulled pork. I am planning on getting a 8 - 9 lb butt. While I have become addicted to smoking, I don't love it enough to get up every hour all night long and check my temperature. I also prefer not to make it the day before and serve "leftovers". If I plan on a a late night finish (midnight?), how long will it stay warm in a faux cambro? Any other suggestions?

What are you cooking on? Depending on temp it needs to go on around midnight. I haven't tried a really long time, but 4 hours is as long as I would go in a cambro. Some other guys may have other ideas, but if I were attempting this and refused to get up and check it, I would smoke it for an hour or 2 then transfer to an oven at 225. If you pop it in the oven at midnight it shouldn't be done by the time you wake up and can hold it from there. For extra time and even more smoke, freeze it first and smoke from frozen, adding 90 min to the cook.

Comment

I will be using a 22.5 WSM

Comment

The important thing is to cook it to an internal temp of 203 degrees. I do some for lunches at 275 degrees to do it fast 6 hrs for 9 lbs at 225 you will probably be at 8 hrs.
        Last edited by BBQ Bill Wyko; May 3, 2015, 09:35 PM.

Comment

You should be able to get a good long burn on the WSM if you've mastered your technique. Otherwise why not smoke it for three or four hours, then take it off, wrap and cool down. Finish it in the oven the next morning. Its not going to take any more smoke after a couple of hours anyway. You get the smoke you want, get to sleep all night, and don't have to worry about not delivering on the goods the next day. BTW, if you get your meat up to 205 and line your cooler really well with towels bottom, top, and sides of wrapped meat, your faux cambro should hold the team for hours and hours...

Comment

thanks everyone

Comment

I highly recommend you cut that butt in two pieces- more rub, salt, and smoke, more bark, and shorter cook time.

When I need to do a long hold for pulled pork I will go until the meat wanes to about 150-160 then place the wrapped butt in the oven until it comes back up (slowly) to 180, then back into the cambro. I have bobbed back & forth doing this with briskets and pork butts alike, pork butts especially can handle it. I agree with John, give yourself 12 hrs to be safe. A remote thermometer if you have one with alarms, like the Maverick ET 732, will be great to help you sleep while doing this.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here