Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for tentatively March 18-21, 2022. Click here for more info: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/announcements/misc/1014106-meat-up-in-memphis-2021-canceled
See more
See less

Stop eating store bought bacon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marshall
    Club Member
    • Jul 2017

Stop eating store bought bacon!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200222_153726.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	3.44 MB
ID:	806808Click image for larger version

Name:	20200222_175242.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	806809Click image for larger version

Name:	20200223_090820.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	806811Click image for larger version

Name:	20200223_091616.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	806810 This stuff has ruined store bought bacon , my wife and i can't believe how delicious this is. I did 1 maple and 1 original, i like the maple the best,. Im slightly sick right now by how much i consumed but when i feel better i will go eat the rest, give this recipe a try if you haven't yet, thanks to Meathead and everyone in the pit for the amazing recipes and support ! Im gonna head back to the fryin pan and finish what i started
  • holehogg
    Club Member
    • Nov 2017
    • Port Elizabeth, South Africa

My daughter who is a bacon fanatic wasn't so keen on the homemade bacon the first time I made it and she tried it.
    I thought it was good and tasted better than store bought but she disagreed.
    Well know she refuses to eat store bought. She has also converted a lot of her friends and their families (pressure on me).
    The hard part is getting over the difference in texture and taste of the all too familiar store bought product.

Can't agree more nothing beats homemade.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 Thanks! I'd be getting it specifically for bacon, but I'm sure I'd take advantage of it with other meats too.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Smoking77 get it from one of the web restaurant stores but before checking out make sure they don’t charge you an arm and a leg for shipping. I got mine for next to nothing on shipping but the next time I tried to order they wanted to charge WAY to much.

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good info tbob4 Thanks.
  • tbob4
    Charter Member
    • Nov 2014
    • Chico, CA
    • BBQ's
      Vision Grill

Beer

Wood
      Cherry
      Peach
      Apple

That bacon looks delicious

Comment

• rickgregory
      Founding Member
      • Aug 2014
      • Seattle, WA

That reminds me, mine is done curing and I need to smoke it. As for taste... one of the things I like is that you can adjust the cure ingredients and can coat it, or not, in different things as you smoke it. Bacon is also probably the easiest thing to make and honestly you could even simply roast it in the oven to 150F or so if you didn't have a smoker handy

Comment

• Smoking77
        Club Member
        • Mar 2017
        • Los Angeles

Looks fantastic! Congrats!

Comment

• CaptainMike
          Club Member
          • Nov 2015
          • The Great State of Jefferson
          • 24X40 Lone Star Grillz offset smoker
            Weber Summit Charcoal Grill w/SnS and DnG (Spartacus)
            Old school big'ol Traeger w/Pro controller (Big Tex)
            2 W22's w/SnS, DnG (1 black, 1 copper) (Minions 1 and 2)
            20+ y/o many times rebuilt Weber Genesis w/GrillGrates (Gas Passer)
            20 x 30 Santa Maria grill (Maria, duh)
            Bradley cabinet smoker (Pepper Gomez)
            36" Blackstone griddle (The Black Beauty)
            Fireboard
            Thermoworks Smoke and Thermapen.

We had homemade bacon and eggs pizza for breakfast this morning, such a treat!

Comment

• FireMan
            Charter Member
            • Jul 2015
            • Bottom of Winnebago

Ok, I will stop. 🕶

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              I might, but I'm not making any promises.
          • DavidNorcross
            Club Member
            • Nov 2017
            • Virginia
            • SNS Kamado
              Weber Summit S-670
              Camp Chef FTG 600
              Camp Chef Escape

Old Hickory Knives
              More Cast Iron than I care to admit

It may be hard to believe but I struggle to find pork belly in my area.

Comment

• Foehn Watts
              Foehn Watts commented
              Editing a comment
              I can find porkbelly in the local Asian Markets BUT it does NOT look like the stuff posted above! I want somma that stuff!

• cgrover60
              cgrover60 commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here. Finally ordered from Heritage Foods.

• SmokingPat
              SmokingPat commented
              Editing a comment
              Try a Mexican meat market (carniceria) if they're in your area. I had to ask for it, since it wasn't in the case.
          • rickgregory
            Founding Member
            • Aug 2014
            • Seattle, WA

Originally posted by DavidNorcross View Post
            It may be hard to believe but I struggle to find pork belly in my area.
            You can order it, I'd bet. OF course, given that you're where you are, you can also just order Benton's, some of the best bacon I've ever had. I can too, but...

Comment

• Andrrr
              Club Member
              • May 2019
              • Wisconsin
              • WSCG
                Weber Kettle 22”
                Weber Smokey Joe
                Blackstone 36”

Ok this is next on my list of things to make

Comment

• marshall
                marshall commented
                Editing a comment
                Its so easy, just make sure you use meatheads curing calculator
            • Shockwave
              Club Member
              • Dec 2019
              • Milwaukee, WI

So what gives the store bought bacon the crispiness that you don't really get with homemade bacon?
              Last edited by Shockwave; February 28, 2020, 08:51 AM.

Comment

• Smokerstoker
                Smokerstoker commented
                Editing a comment
                Although thinking about it- the Prague powder probably doesn't have much to do with it.

• grantgallagher
                grantgallagher commented
                Editing a comment
                Store bacon uses prague 1 and 2 plus cold smoking. The meathead method uses only prague 1 which has sodium nitrite but not nitrate. Although I dont profess to fully understand the chemical reaction differences here, those are the main reasons it will not get as crispy.

• johnec00
                johnec00 commented
                Editing a comment
                I know that Meathead's article on bacon says store bought bacon uses Prague powder #2, but 9CFR 424.23(b) prohibits use of nitrate in bacon. Store bought bacon is cured and (maybe) smoked, but otherwise raw. When fried at high temperature, it becomes crispy. Home made bacon made IAW the free site recipe is cured and cooked.
                Can't speak to "uncured" bacon that is cured with natural sources of nitrite/nitrate like celery powder.

https://ecfr.io/Title-9/Section-424.23
                Last edited by johnec00; September 17, 2020, 08:56 PM.
            • rickgregory
              Founding Member
              • Aug 2014
              • Seattle, WA

Something else to contrast this with would be a good artisanal bacon like Bentons which is surprising affordable ($8/lb plus shipping). Smoked in a traditional smoke shack, it's pretty awesome stuff... and very smoky. I don't try to replicate it at home, but it's a good way to experience what you can do at a scale not achievable at home but still with traditional methods.

Video about them here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUE2v2lPQeQ and here https://vimeo.com/29677209, site here https://bentonscountryhams2.com

I type this having just cooked breakfast with my own bacon... mmm....

PS: Their hams are amazing.

Comment

• marshall
                marshall commented
                Editing a comment
                Ill be down that way this summer , ill have to pick some stuff up!
            • klflowers
              Club Member
              • Sep 2015
              • Tennessee

Bentons is excellent. I am just over an hour away - haven't been up there in awhile, but this thread has reminded me to make a trip up there...

Comment

• rickgregory
                rickgregory commented
                Editing a comment
                So... Jealous...
            • JoeSousa
              Club Member
              • Sep 2016
              • Spokane, WA
              • Weber 22" (4 of them)
                Weber Ranch
                Weber 26"
                SNS Kettle
                PK Grill (40+ years old)
                Weber Jumbo Joe
                Thermoworks Smoke, DOT, Signals, Smoke X4, and Thermopop
                Slow n' Sear XL (2)
                Slow n' Sear

http://completecarnivore.com is my site

I have been making my own bacon for a few years now and have bought commercial bacon a couple times since then. There really is no comparison. I like my bacon thick too so I love slicing some nice, thick slices on my slicer. Even the thick cut commercial bacon is too thin for me now.

Earlier this week I tried some Nueske's bacon which is another popular "artisinal" bacon producer along the lines of Bentons, Nodine's, etc. Compared to standard grocery store fare it was good but still couldn't hold a candle to homemade. The smoke and sweet just didn't balance right and there were some other slightly off tastes going on.

And I think I am down to 4 pounds of homemade bacon in the freezer so time to make a Costco run this weekend for some bellies.

Comment

• rickgregory
                rickgregory commented
                Editing a comment
                That's the other thing, Joe... the ability to tailor the flavor the way you want.

• Foehn Watts
                Foehn Watts commented
                Editing a comment
                You mentioned some " . . . some other slightly off tastes going on. . . . " which brought back a memory: Many, many years ago, I had some dry-cured, smoked bacon and tried to microwave it: my gawd it was nasty and dead tasting. BUT I when I tried frying some (I really love bacon and don't want to waste it), it was absolutely delicious, no bad flavor at all.
                Last edited by Foehn Watts; February 28, 2020, 03:29 PM.
            • DreamOn
              Club Member
              • Jan 2020
              • Lancaster PA

Smoking my own is SO much better. It doesn’t initially look cheaper, comparing the cheapest brand at the grocery store vs the cost of my finished product... but it tastes much better AND mine has more meat on it. The grocery store stuff is a lot of fat and water/ shrinks 50% in the pan whereas mine being much meatier doesn’t shrink much. So a better deal all around looking at the after cooking volume 🙂. I usually cut a whole pork belly in 1/2. I do half maple and half savory 😋

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for tentatively March 18-21, 2022. Click here for more info: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/announcements/misc/1014106-meat-up-in-memphis-2021-canceled
              See more
              See less
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder's fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here's a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys:

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
              The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
              The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
              The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
              The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
              The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
              We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
              Stylish and Affordable
              Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
              Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
              A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
              Webers? Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
              GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
              The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
              This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
              A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
              FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
              Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
              Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order