Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Piney Woods Rooter; A Texas Heritage Breed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piney Woods Rooter; A Texas Heritage Breed

Have a small shoulder from one of our piney Woods rooters in the pit right now smoking over some hickory. Here is a shot pre injection. I wet brine it, then injected with my pork injection. Into the fridge for 48 hours for the injection to disperse. Then I hit it with mustard, and my Red Dirt Rub. She is in the smoker at 225° over hickory as I type. I'll update the pics later.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by texastweeter; January 15, 2020, 09:01 PM.

Three and a half hours in, and we are sitting at 145° IT. Forgot to mention I am running with a full water pan, side vents closed, top vent wide open and fat cap down.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by texastweeter; January 15, 2020, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Specimens for this Heritage breed that are male must weigh under 150 pounds, for me at least.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        this was a small female. Males get castrated. They are all wormed, vaccinated, and the fed medicated feed to ensure they are disease free. After a quarantine period, they are fed all pro for a while. Before slaughter they are finished out on corn. Still come out leaner than commodity or even traditional heritage breeds. Most of the fat is in a thick layer right under the skin. Meat is a much darker red that commodity pork.

6 hours in.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by texastweeter; January 16, 2020, 05:06 AM.

Comment

10 hours in and she hit 170° IT and bark was nicely set. Sorry, but I forgot to get pictures as I was not only sleepy, but it's raining outside and I was in a hurry. She is crutched in foil right now, and back on at 225° (minus the smoke).

Comment

My Texas property is in the Piney Woods. where are you?

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            I RESIDE in White House. This pig is from our farm just outside Pittsburg.

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            My place is outside Daingerfield, though I live in TN. my cousin and his mother live there , now.

She just finished up at about 208°. Into the Yeti with some BBQ towels she went to a LOOOOOONNNNGGG REST. total cook time: just shy of 14 hours.

Comment

Dang fine cook. Would love to see some other cuts out of that breed as well !!!

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              can do.

i need an update on this, please

Comment

• DeusDingo
              DeusDingo commented
              Editing a comment
              i enjoy that combination. you forgot the comma after whiskey

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Forget the update....I need an invite !!!

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              DeusDingo, no I didn't. Tonight is a Scotch night. Scotch whisky is with no e...Ill be putting Tennessee whiskey in the beans. The scotch is to stay hydrated...save water, drink Scotch.

so good. Super tender and jucy. Time for some tacos!

Comment

pics.
              Attached Files

Comment

That some damn fine cochon.

Comment

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank ya, pardner

that satisfies me

Comment

Just stuck another shoulder in the pit. About to freeze 5lbs of largemouth fillets, and start on some wild plum jelly. Been a very eventful couple of days.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                    Jerod Broussard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's an odd looking shoulder. The muscle striations have interruptions, perhaps from a Vesicular Disease??

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here