Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Country Style Pork Ribs - Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Country Style Pork Ribs - Questions

Pit,

This is what my local meat locker considers "Country Style Pork Ribs". To me this looks different than a lot of other country style ribs I have seen. These things are 1.5 inches thick.

What say you pit? What exactly are they and how best cooked?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1879CDC3-30C3-40D3-AD92-8517B283F210.jpeg
Views:	449
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	790039

That thar looks like a porkchop to me.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s what I thought.

Those are bone in pork chops. It doesn't help that there is no firm definition of "country style pork ribs". Sometimes they are steaks from the butt, sometimes they are loin ribs, also called rib chops.

do them as pork chops.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought the same thing oddly enough the same case that these are in there are also bone in pork chops. But I’m thinking to cook them like chops as we’ll.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      What he said

When I do a pork chop like that I try and get them cut 2" or 2 bone pork chop. Salt/pepper biff in the pit until 145f. Easy peasy.
    It's a pork chop with a hipster name "Country rib" Country ribs come from the loin end of the shoulder.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I wet brine, Dust with either black pepper, anchor, or rosemary and ginger. Smoke over hickory to medium rare, then sear the bejeesus outta them. I too like them rediculiously thick.

Country style ribs look like this around here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	BCCDCF8B-B285-4183-B499-1480C6C949BF.jpeg
Views:	396
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	790052

Comment

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. Every state I have lived in those are called country style ribs. That means OH, VA, MA, SC, IA, and NC.

• nickgutnick
      nickgutnick commented
      Editing a comment
      this is what I'm cooking now. These are country ribs in my neck of the woods.

Look like pork chops to me. I agree there are many variants of coutry style ribs.

Comment

Maybe from a different country?? They are called pork chops around here...

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Wa, wa ,wa wa, waaaaaaaaa

As stated those are pork chops. So, they are a lot leaner than the country style ribs. Lean meat is typically cooked hot and fast. Recommend cooking like a steak (with a dry brine of kosher salt).

Comment

Agreed these are chops, but it looks like the chine bone has been trimmed off, which is not usually the case with chops.

Comment

I wish they would quit using that term "country style ribs". They are never from the rib section, those would be chops as everyone has correctly stated. Generally whats termed country style ribs are cuts from the shoulder. Sometimes they catch the scapula bone in the cut so they act like they are from the rib. Unfortunately they need to be cooked low and slow to break down all that connective tissue. Those babies above need to be grilled in my opinion. Nice looking chops !!!

Comment

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed... it is like finding a piece of beef labeled London broil....

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            "...They are never from the rib section..."

I agree with you about the boneless version. But when I get bone-in country style ribs, the bones sure look like pieces of rib to me (as per pic above). But like Ahumadora said, not really from the loin -- more from the end of the loin where it transitions into the shoulder. Or from the end of the shoulder where it transitions to the loin. Whatever.

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            I worked in a butcher shop many years ago where our "country style ribs" were pork sirloins cut into strips. (They were good.) Traditionally, though, I agree, cut from the shoulder.

Meathead has a good recipe for liquid brining thick cut pork chops and I have tried it with good results.

Comment

those are rib chops around here. Country style ribs are a shoulder cut into about two by two strips.

Comment

Am I the only one that wants to bread these in panko and fry them in lard?

Comment

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                Nope. You aren't.

Country style ribs.... this is a meat I have never opted to purchase and cook over the past 30+ years of my BBQ adventures. I knew every time I looked at it that it was NOT ribs, but usually just a butt cut into strips. If I want butt, I'll buy a butt and smoke it for pulled pork. If I want ribs, I'll buy actual ribs. The attraction of the falsely named "country style rib" escapes me. I probably need to get some this year, as I am on a quest to check off things I haven't cooked before - already checked off pork tenderloin - having always gone for big 10 pound pork loins in the past. The tenderloin is a keeper, and glad I tried it. Next on my list to check off are pork steaks - just a sliced up butt, so not sure its much different than the fake ribs... I've had this recipe bookmarked ever since seeing it on Project Smoke:

These pork shoulder steaks are grilled over a hickory fire and basted with a spicy vinegar dip. A regional barbecue recipe from Kentucky.

Now, I *HAVE* grilled many a pork chop, and what you have there my friend are some NICE looking pork chops!
              Last edited by jfmorris; January 12, 2020, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• Old Glory
                Old Glory commented
                Editing a comment
                They are cheap +1 on How To BBQ Right recipe

• ScottyC13
                ScottyC13 commented
                Editing a comment
                jfmorris in my grocery in the cold northeast, 'country style' ribs are usually loin meat. The cut is actually quite tasty. They are usually boneless (labeled boneless country style or have a small bone in them. I have done them on the Weber, but usually use them for stir fry or braising recipes.

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                try sreasoning your pork steaks with Montreal steak seasoning, and grilling hot at fast to medium at the most. Just try it, it's sang good.

Put them pork chops on the grill. 3 to 4 minutes a side

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here