Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holding Boston Butt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holding Boston Butt question

Smoking an 8-lber now at 185F internal after 12 hours at 225F. Jacked up the temp to 250 as I am going to have to hit the road by 10:15 for some personal stuff that just came up. Also, dinner has moved from 1 to 5 pm so this baby will be resting almost 7 hours which is twice as long as I have held one before. On the one hand if it isn't 100% done by the time I have to pull it I guess a long rest would help, but have you guys held one 7 hours in the standard foil wrap/towels/cooler model? Any ideas?

I usually put a stick of butter and some garlic powder in just before I foil it up. I don't wrap till i pull as a rule. I have about anhpur to make the call so only Sunday morning contributors will impact the decision...

I have not gone that long so faced with a similar dilemma I'd consider a low 160 - 180 oven.

Comment

• jerrybell
      jerrybell commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      +2

I routinely heat a couple bricks on top of the smoker, then put em in the cooler with the meat and towels. I have held 140* for eight hours.

Comment

I cut by butts in half for max bark, one is always a little smaller, when the smaller half is done (probe tender) I'll pull both off the grill. Put both in foil pan with liquid of choice wrap and put in oven at 170. I leave the DOT in the big hunk and it will continue to climb. Just did this Thursday. Both came out perfect. I would say you can hold in oven at 170 for as long as you want as long as its covered.
      Last edited by HawkerXP; January 5, 2020, 10:55 AM. Reason: added "grill" I don't pull the meat until ready to eat

Comment

Ditto on the covered and in the oven at 170 (lowest setting mine will go).

If you are worried about your oven being on while gone then I like the heated bricks in a faux cambro idea.

Comment

I held a fully cooked one in an ice chest with all the space filled with old towels. I held it for 7 hours +, but it was Summertime and the ice chest was in the sun. The internal temp exceeded 135 when I pulled it.

Comment

7 hours in a Cambro works but they are rated for 6 hours. The more hot meat you have in it, the better it works. I would put it in a crock pot on low or warm depending on your settings with some onions and/or sauce on the bottom to be safe.

Comment

I use a yeti with towels, and 7 hours is no prob. If you crutch now you can get to a higher IT faster on the pit.

Comment

turns out daughter # 3 skipped our commitment and stayed home to watch it. I came by at 2:30 and it was only 199 but probe tender and the bone was sliding out so I pulled it, wrapped and it will only rest 3 hours. saved by a slow butt. I put it in at 8:30 pm and pulled it at 2:45. That's 14 hours fo a boston butt and I guess it qualifies as low and slow....

Thanks fo r the help. I will try and post some pics once we are ready to roll

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  All's well that ends well.

K.

Low and slow fantastic!

Comment

Good information. I had a similar situation and ended up reheating. I think this is probably the better way to go.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here