Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork butt struggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork butt struggles

I am huge fan of Meathead and this site. It is the only site that I PAY to belong to, and I don't blink when it's time to renew.

What I really like is how he uses science to prove is various points. Having said all that, here we go.

BEFORE joining this site, I used a pork butt recipe called "Kyle's style." It consists of an overnight vinegar/pineapple/spices marinade, injection and basting using said marinade. Five hours on smoker, basting every hour. Then wrap to finish. I did it two or three times, and it was always so freaking juicy. Here's the recipe: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-2013941

But Meathead seems pretty down on marinades, and favors dry-brining. So I tried his pork butt recipe w/overnight salt dry-brine, and Memphis dust before smoking. (https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ed-pork-recipe). I also don't do the optional Texas Crutch to get better bark. I've done it twice now and have found the butt to be much less juicy than the other method.

I don't smoke pork butt often enough to change just one thing at a time, but I'm considering doing just that to figure this out. Butts are cheap, after all. What do you think it is? I really miss that juicy pork butt.

1. Overnight wet acid-based marinade
    2. Injection of marinade
    3. Hourly basting
    4. Texas crutch at 5 hours

Is the quality of the pork you're using the same? Are you shredding it right after it comes off the smoker or resting it?

I don't use the memphis dust, as I prefer just S&P. But i do pretty much everything else the meathead way (I cook at 250-275 though). I never have problems with dry pork.

When i HAVE had issues, the pork has been crappy. I switched to a local farm that raises heritage hogs. It is consistently more flavorful and more well-marbled than the commodity crap from the grocery store.

Comment

• wcpreston
      wcpreston commented
      Editing a comment
      Same pork as before. Costco pork butts.

I usually faux-cambro for a while, but I wrap for that.

I wouldn't call it dry. Just not as juicy as before.
      Last edited by wcpreston; January 3, 2020, 01:05 AM.

When I don’t crutch it’s dry-city. That’s my experience anyway. I’ve never tried a marinade or basting etc.

Comment

• wcpreston
      wcpreston commented
      Editing a comment
      This is what I'm thinking

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for in your finished product.

Without injecting and wrapping you’ll never wind up with a super juicy pork butt. If I’m going for super juicy I’ll just crock pot the pork butt with a wet sauce containing a touch of liquid smoke.

If I want that deep down earthy smoke and a bark that is so thick and dark, dry brining over night and not wrapping is the way to go.

I have learned many things from Amazing Ribs and my BBQ game is so much better because of it. But there are also some things on the website that most people treat as that’s the only way things should be done and I find it does not suit my taste.

If you do not like the "Meathead" way of pork butts don’t use that way. Everyone has different likes and dislikes.

Comment

• DiverDriver
      DiverDriver commented
      Editing a comment
      Yuppers ssandy_561 we all have different tastes. Some stuff on here I am NFW. And you pretty much nailed it that 4th paragraph sums it up... Thanks!

I like a three day dry brine and rarely wrap. wcpreston have you tried doing this in a crockpot? Just curious if there was much of a difference.

Comment

• wcpreston
      wcpreston commented
      Editing a comment
      I want that smoke flavor, baby!

Injection and crutch do help with juiciness. Marinade, not so much. Basting softens the bark and slows the cook. My recipe is aimed at the beginner and designed for simplicity because butt is so good when cooked simply.

Try this recipe from Champion Tuffy Stone: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ol-smoke-style

That said, raw material is crucial so get the best meat you can. Try to find Berkshire.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Berkshire is my favorite to use. I find it superior to other heritage breeds, including Duroc

• wcpreston
      wcpreston commented
      Editing a comment
      I just google Berkshire pork. $125! for two butts? That's more than I pay for brisket!
      Last edited by wcpreston; January 3, 2020, 01:09 AM.

Last butt I did I foiled and finished in the oven due to weather and time constraints. When I pulled it, I added some of the purge that collected in the pan in the oven back into the meat, along with some additional MMD. It was the best butt I have cooked.
    Last edited by klflowers; January 2, 2020, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• THE Humble Texan
      THE Humble Texan commented
      Editing a comment
      I originally thought you were having trouble with weight loss too. (;

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      THE Humble Texan, booooo

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      I do this exact same thing but I don’t wrap until 170-175 to help hold some of the bark. Then always try to cambro at least 2 hours.

Sounds to me like its that crutch at 5 hours and the resultant braising in liquid that is the difference. I'm going to try the recipe Meathead posted next time I do a butt, just for kicks. I've not wrapped a butt in 10 years or more, but that is a technique I used to always use.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep...couldn’t tell ya the last time I wrapped one.

injection makes a big difference. I have cooked butts side by side. The injected one took longer, but was much juicer as well. I inject butts always now, brisket, and chucks too.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never injected a PB, but briskets and chuckies get a good dose of homemade beef broth with Butcher BBQ's phosphate mixed in. What do you inject your PBs with, @texastweeter?

Also do you wrap them? I wrap brisket and chuck but never PBs.

Thanks in advance,
      K.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc salt, sugar, worsh yer sister sauce, apple cider vinegar, BBQ phosphates, and some jus watered down a bit from previous pork butts. Yes I crutch, after the bark is super firm, and dark in color.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks a bunch, texastweeter .

K.

I add a healthy dose of butter and a dusting of the rub once I've pulled the butt.

Along with a water pan and cooking as close to 225 as possible I've always had very juicy meat.

I used to wrap all the time but I can't tell a difference now that I cook at a lower temp and use a water pan.

ETA:

As someone else mentioned, cook how it tastes best to you. I'm admittedly very traditional in my pork preferences, Memphis traditions taste like home to me. So YMMV
    Last edited by TNPIGBBQ; January 2, 2020, 03:40 PM.

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I occasionally make a big batch of bacon, save some of the fat, and later mix that in with the pulled pork of it ends up too dry.

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      What Polarbear777 said. I usually mix some melted hog fat with a bit of sauce and mix it through. I usually don't wrap until I pull the butt off, but any juices in the foil get mixed in too.

A few of questions: What are you cooking on? Do you use a water pan? What temp are you cooking at? These could be factors in your results.

Comment

• wcpreston
      wcpreston commented
      Editing a comment
      I did leave that out huh. I'm cooking on a Backwoods G2 Chubby, which has a huge waterpan.

I cooked at about 250.

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      wcpreston I don’t think the problem would be in the cooker or water pan. I usually wrap mine when they are finished and hold for at least 2 hours in a faux cambro. It softens the bark some, but keeps the meat moist and allows me the opportunity to separate out the excess fat.

I dry brine and inject mine overnight. Then cook in a disposable foil pan. When it hits about 180 IT, I cover entire pan with foil and continue to cook until IT is 205. Then place the entire pan, still covered, in the oven at 170 for 2-3 hours. Produces a very moist product. If bark isn't enough, don't cover until it goes in the oven. Pull the pork and mix with all the juices in the pan.
    Last edited by jlazar; January 2, 2020, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• wcpreston
      wcpreston commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, Joe! Long time no talk!

I really think wrapping is going to be the key.

I think our preferences for flavor and juiciness are all personal. It is hard to judge what we like from other's experience. That being said, this site, the members and experienced cooks like Meathead are invaluable in our learning. I have learned so much in my 5 months.

I did a pork butt last weekend with Memphis dust and ended up crutching after the stall (stalled 4 hours) due to time constraints and my nervousness (first butt on the Weber). The bark was still quite chewy and delicious. I think I read from Huskee that wrapping after the stall helps preserve some of the chew and it did. I have a Performer, so I also follow a lot of jfmorris recommendations for set up and methods.

So now I know that if the stall happens, I can let it go a while and wrap at 4 to 4:30 at 160F, pull at 5:45 at 200 to 203F, let it rest for 30 plus minutes and still get dinner on the table at 7. I know next pork butt will probably be different, but now I have a better sense of timing.
    Last edited by ScottyC13; January 3, 2020, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Change is hard to do when you have good result's. We just recently got a costco in our area but I've such great result's with Sams, I have not tryed them. My big change in cooking butt's is No wrap. Cook at 275, pull them at 185 degrees, let em rest one hour before pulling. My thought's were they were to mushy at anything over 195. Over cooked, And less juicy. Now you have let us know what worked for you, get that smoker fired up.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Having cooked both many times, I like the bone in butts from Sam’s better than the boneless butts from Costco. I buy brisket and pork belly and sometimes a couple of whole chickens at Costco. I get all my pork at Sam’s. Lately I get my steaks only by getting whole NY strips on sale, and slicing my own steaks.

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris I agree with you. I prefer a bone-in butt. Also, I too only buy whole strips, tenderloins, or ribeyes and cut my own steaks. Saves some money and the trimmings I grind into some delicious burger.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here