Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First pork tenderloins? What now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First pork tenderloins? What now?

Ok, believe it not, I've been smoking and grilling for going on 30 years, and for some reason, picked up my first ever 4 pork tenderloins while at Costco this morning (along with 2 chickens and a 17 pound brisket). I was also tasked with getting turnip greens and black eyed peas, and thought the tenderloins would be a nice ham substitute for New Year's Day lunch.

So... I've smoked and sous-vided full pork loins (5 or 10 pounders), but never one of these skinny pork loins. Anyone have a favorite recipe, since the free side of AR has ZERO on pork tenderloins? I also assume just cook to 140-145 like I would its big brother, the pork loin?

If no one has better advice, I will dry brine overnight, rub down with MMD, and smoke at 225 on the kettle + SnS until they reach an IT of 140 to 145.
    Last edited by jfmorris; December 31, 2019, 03:00 PM.

My go to on pork tenderloin is the Epicurious Island Pork (I never bother with the salad part...). It's incredibly easy and turns out to be a spectacular dish that guests always rave over.

With four of them, you might get lucky enough to have leftovers for delicious sliders on King's Hawaiian dinner rolls.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      That recipe looks good, and I think I have almost everything in the pantry without a trip to the store. No chili powder though, but I could probably mix some up from spices on hand. So you just make the rub for the pork, and the glaze?

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. And then the pork gets seared in a hot pan, covered with the brown sugar mix and popped into the oven in the same pan. Comes out beautiful!

Originally from the Weber Big Book of Grilling, Disappearing Pork Tenderloin with Pico. This is our go-to for tenderloin.
    This Disappearing Tenderloin With Pico De Gallo recipe is from the Cook'n recipe organizer recipe collection

Comment

I cook these often. Dry brine, no rub though. Instead I sprinkle with Montreal. 225-250 indirect with small amount of apple. I cook to 128-130 IT and then cold grate sear them 1 minute per side times 2. They are very easy to overcook so watch them closely

They should be juicy and very tender. Enjoy and Happy New Year.

Comment

Treat it either like a large chop as RustyHaines said above, or roll fillet and make a roulade out of it.

Comment

I combine chopped garlic,fresh oregano,kosher salt,and olive oil,then just grill about ten minutes per "side".
          add cayenne if you like a little heat.(this is good on ribs and chicken as well)

Comment

They are really lean and really tender. Very analogous to been tenderloin/fillet mignon. DO NOT OVERCOOK THEM and you will be good.140-ish only.
            Last edited by Dewesq55; December 31, 2019, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Right on. Tenderloin is delicious. I have to do a lot to a whole loin to keep it moist but a tenderloin is all about cooking and temping. Treating it like filet is the best advice - that even includes cutting it into steaks.

• Skip
              Skip commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree totally. Don't overcook. I go Hot and Fast to 140. I think it's a favorite meat to make for a crowd. They usually get to 140 in about 30 minutes then you can tent them. I like to slice & serve with a Cranberry Sauce or BBQ/Apple Jelly Sauce.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes definitely pair it with something sweet, like a raspberry chipotle glaze, some apple or pear sauce, all work well.

Hot and fast. Those Costco packs have two tenderloins in them. I occasionally will use whatever pork rub I have,rub them, tie them together and cook indirect between the charcoal baskets. As stated above do not overcook. Happy New Year!
            Last edited by HawkerXP; December 31, 2019, 06:09 PM.

Comment

I usually go hot and fast indirect. Pull at 140. I prefer a rub with less sugar than MMD for these, I’ll usually just whip up a rub for them with whatever I feel like using that day.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice folks. I'm going to probably try the "Island" recipe from Jim White with two, but use the gas grill indirect instead of the oven - I'll just take my Lodge 12" out there to the Genesis. In the meantime, I'm going to marinate the other two overnight in a chipotle marinade and will direct/indirect grill them on the kettle with that recipe. I've got two chickens I'm going to split and grill as well. Should make for some interesting flavors.

Comment

• Jim White
                  Jim White commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yum. I've been contemplating moving that recipe to the grill. I may do the next one starting direct on the grill to get some marks and sear and then moving into a hot pan in the oven.

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m looking forward to your reviews!

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jim White my plan is start with the skillet over a burner, then turn off that burner but leave the others on for indirect heat. Mostly so I can stay out of the kitchen, and also to watch the other stuff on the grill.

By far my favorite recipe - https://heygrillhey.com/stuffed-pork-tenderloin/

Comment

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This looks good. Thanks!

I made this Jeff Phillips recipe and it was sooo good.

Kathryn

Comment

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This also looks good. Thanks! Happy New Year K!

• 58limited
                  58limited commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That looks great! I might try your version with the four deer tenderloins that I have. I'll probably use Kent Rollins' Mesquite rub for them.

• jgreen
                  jgreen commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Been planning to try that. Thanks for the reminder and the endorsement.

Well, no one told me that these 2 packs from Costco actually contain 4 tenderloins - they are even skinnier than I expected! The packaging had them bundled up in 2’s. So, one pack went to the freezer, and I am cooking 4 of them ‘Island’ style, hoping to cram them all into a single 12” Lodge. If need be, I’ll carry my Lodge 14” pizza pan ‘ griddle outside. In fact, think I will preheat it too ‘just in case’.

Comment

I have only made tenderloin once, and we didn’t like it. Maybe it was the meat quality, or the way I cooked it, but it was mushy. Haven’t had the nerve to try it since.

Comment

Tenderloin shouldn't be mushy. You don't want to wet brine it since it's not a cut that you want to cook in long dry heat. You want to either sear, then roast (basically, see above) or reverse sear. But I think reverse sear or SV is overkill here.

I keep things simple - dry brine, rub, sear or cook on high heat, sauce.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here