Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wanted bark . . . . . I got bark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted bark . . . . . I got bark

Probably the last 10 pork butts I cooked on my Weber [SNS/modified Memphis Dust (I substitute hatch chili powder for the paprika) and apple wood] and were pulled at the stall, wrapped, and finished inside in the oven. They were all wonderful. But this method does "wet up" the bark in my opinion. I needed to make pulled pork for tamales and wanted good bark for added flavor and texture. So I did a cook as above but let it ride without the crutch to get good bark. Well it sure worked. 8 lb butt and the cook took 12 hours with 225-250 cook temp and IT of 203. Have not made the tamales yet but I can already taste them ! Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020439.JPG
Views:	464
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	781261Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020440.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	342.6 KB
ID:	781262

Woof woof! That’s some bark! Looks mighty tasty!

Comment

Awesome.

Good smoke ring, too.

Comment

That 8 pounder looks like it has about 4 lbs of bark.

Comment

Love good bark

Comment

Beautiful! Can't wait to see the tamales now

Comment

That is awesome!

Comment

I remember the first time I had a meteor looking hunk o’ meat...
                My SO said, "It looks burnt. Is it going to be ok?" O_o
                I said, "Woman! It’s going to be great!" (I can get away with "Woman!" when it’s said in jest and I’m laughing. Sometimes a nervous laugh, ‘cause I really might have screwed it up LOL, but still...)
                Anyway, yeah...turned out some near perfect pulled pork.

That should make for some awesome tamales.

Comment

I almost always cook them at 225 without the crutch, but I do wrap and rest them in faux cambro for a couple of hours before serving. It softens the bark some but nothing like when you you crutch them. The 12 hour cook time matches the range of my typical 225 cook.
                Last edited by LA Pork Butt; December 21, 2019, 12:33 PM.

Comment

That bark is pure pig candy. Congrats and enjoy.

Kathryn

Comment

Well done, sir, well done! That is textbook style bark. When I wrap before they're done, I usually do it after the stall. That way the bark has set enough so it won't be affected by the wrap. Either way, your woman should be happy about the results

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Same.

That looks gorgeous!!!

Comment

What is your paprika:hatch chili ratio? I want to try that substitution. Sounds delicious!

Comment

Barkelicious!!!

Comment

I really want to see the final product. I have made smoked pork for tamales but always tossed any bark for the filling and ate it with a smile. You have to post photos and tell my how the bark enhances the tamale. I believe you are on to something that goes beyond my conventional wisdom. I am really intrigued.

Comment

• RustyHaines
                          RustyHaines commented
                          Editing a comment
                          i will be making them for the New Year and will post. In my tamale making experience I have chopped the meat (pork, chicken, beef) pretty small. So my thought proces is to chop that good bark up small along with the meat. It has to add flavor and texture, right? We'll see how the final product turns out.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here