Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas ham

I have a Kurobuta Whole Bone-In Ham from SRF. It's been cured and smoked already. I plan to heat it in my Yoder to 140F using pecan/cherry pellets (did this with a half ham about a month ago to use in some Senate Navy Bean Soup and it was good)
    Wondering if a rub and or basting it would help. I do not want a sweet glaze on it. Ideas?

Here are a couple good ones. Malcolm Reed has great recipes!

Check out the latest post from How to BBQ Right featuring How To Smoke A Holiday Ham.

Holiday Ham Recipe - Double Smoked, Spiral Sliced Ham glazed with a Raspberry Chipotle Glaze. This simple recipe is perfect for the Holidays.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks I'll look at those.

Just found this for basting the ham. Sound like it might be good from Paula Dean
    • 1 cup pineapple juice
    • 3 tablespoons sarsaparilla
    • 3 tablespoons brown sugar

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      You forgot the 12 sticks of butter! LoL.

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      @Hawker That could work. Butter is like bacon.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Paula seems to have a love affair with butter.

Anything paired with Senate Bean Soup is a hit here. Love that soup. Coca Cola makes a good baste for ham too.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr.Pepper is in my country ham

Try the spiced apricot glaze on the free portion of this site. It's my go to on city hams.

Comment

My preference is not to muck up the flavor of the meat with anything.

Comment

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        We bought a ham from the Amana Colonies smoke house. You can't find 'em in stores any other time of the year, so an Amana ham is a once a year treat. I'm planning to smoke this one just plain nekkid. The ham, that is. Not me.

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        IowaGirl Even if you were thinking about doing that. This time of year it is just toooo cold! 😁

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        True, dat. I'd prob'ly have to wear socks, hey?

Thinking about rocking this recipe for X-mas:

Create the best ham you've ever tasted with this ultimate double smoked ham recipe. Ordinary store bought whole or spiral ham is taken over the top by slowly smoking it on the grill. The true star of the show, however, is the sweet and savory glaze!

Question for all the ham aficionados out there....If I cook the ham a few days in advance, would reheating dry it out or should I just serve it cold?

Comment

I've been enjoying this thread a lot because I also have a ham in the fridge for the holidays. My son is visiting this weekend to deer hunt with my Mister, so I'll get this ham done while Son is here.

The brown sugar glaze by Malcolm Reed and the apricot glaze in the recipe here on AR both sound tasty, but the raspberry chipotle glaze, also by Malcolm, is really trippin' my trigger. I'm going to do a riff on that -- a raspberry jalepeno glaze using my homemade raspberry sauce.

Clint C -- I'd be okay with reheating the ham, but I'd keep the meat well covered to prevent drying out and heat just to safe serving temperature, no higher.
        Last edited by IowaGirl; December 19, 2019, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
          DavidNorcross commented
          Editing a comment
          Avid follower of Malcolm Reed.

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto here -- I enjoy his videos -- well prepared, edited, and presented. I also think the recipes are spot on -- every one I've tried has been really good.

Although I don't expect you fellas to understand, I haveta add his soft Southern drawl can melt a girl's heart.

I like a glaze with some mustard in it to cut the sweet.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here