Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cured Ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cured Ham

I recently bought a half a pig from a local farm. I received some bone in hams. They are cured, not smoked. How should I cook them? They weigh about 11 lbs each. I have a small offset charcoal smoker...
    Just wondering about target temperatures and estimated time to cook?

Wet cure, or dry?

Comment

Wet cure.

Comment

If you are going to serve it right away I would hit an internal of 145 degrees, but if you want to hold it in the fridge for several weeks then I would go to 165 degrees. Cook at a higher temperature, around 325, and depending on the size expect about 5-6 hours to hit those temps.

Some might say do it at a lower cooking temperature 225-250 but then you will extend the cook and risk some dryness.
        Last edited by Donw; November 15, 2019, 08:22 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Sounds good. It’s cold and windy here, so I doubt I’ll be able to maintain 325. I might wrap it part way through to keep some moisture...

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            If you can't hit at least 300, trust me, you'll be wrapping just to get it done.

Welcome! This may help: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...lds-great-hams

Comment

Here goes...
            Attached Files

Comment

Turned out just fine. Brought it up to 150 over 6 hours. Might have been a little dry, but not bad. Might inject the next one..?
              Attached Files

Comment

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                Good looking ham.

Looks good to me! Congrats!!

Comment

That looks pretty good from here

Comment

Looks good to me temp seems good. I wet brine and inject along the bones to prevent bone illness. lt is very good if I do say so my self.LOLLOL

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here