Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cherry Dr. Pepper injected PP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cherry Dr. Pepper injected PP

So, for years I was a KISS sort of guy...
    Simple rubs and let it smoke.low and slow.
    A few summers ago I started experimenting with injections on my brisket to try to "up my game" a bit with FABULOUS results...
    SO, I got to thinking about PP....I have ALWAYS been of the opinion that pork butts and shoulder roasts dont need anything much except a good rub and smoke...but....
    So, in my reading I started to see a lot of articles, blogs and general comments about Cherry Dr. Pepper injections and thought "cherry, pork, why not?" and started fooling around and came up with a recipe (not MY favorite but seems to be everybody else's favorite)...
    I'll share it for your opinions.

INJECTION
    • 1 cup Cherry Dr. Pepper
    • 1/2 cup each - apple cider or juice and pineapple juice
    • 1/4 cup meat phosphate (probably not needed with pork but it certainly helped my briskets)
    • 50% of the packsge ecommended amount of MSG by meat weight.(optional)
    PRIMARY RUB
    • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    • 3/4 cup turbinado (raw) sugar
    • 1/3 cup Mccormics dark chili powder
    • 1/4 cup american paprika
    • Salt ____
    • 3 TBSP each - onion and garlic powder
    • 2 TBSP ground yellow mustard
    • 1 tsp cayenne (or to taste)
    note: you'll notice there is no salt in my rub.
    That is because I "pre salt" my Boston butts the day before...if you forgo "pre salting" add 2.5 TBSP mortons kosher salt to the primary rub.

CHERRY KICKER RUB
    • 2 TBSP primary rub
    • 1 package unsweetened black cherry koolaid.
    note: I grind the the primary rub fairly fine before adding the koolaid to help the koolaid incorporate well...the koolaid if very fine and will sift through the rub and settle to the bottom of your container otherwise.
    if you dont or cant grind make sure you shake or stir the rub often when applying to ensure the koolaid stays well suspended in the other ingredients.

FINISHING SAUCE
    • 1 cup Cherry Dr. Pepper
    • 1/2 cup pineapple juice
    • 1/2 cup juice from a jar of maraschino cherries
    • 2 TBSP rub...I always start with any leftover koolaid rub and add primary rub to it to equal 2 TBSP.
    • 1/4 cup (or.more) of your favorite BBQ sauce (optional...I like Stubb's original)

I trim (if necessary) inject and pre salt my pork (3/4 tsp mortons kosher salt per pound of meat sprinkled uniformly over entire surface and refrigerate) 8-10 hours ahead of the smoke.
    I apply a coat of the CHERRY KICKER RUB about an hour before it goes on the smoker.
    I prepare and light my 18" WSM and when it's just about up to temp I apply the primary rub (maybec15 minutes before putting the meat on the smoker). Use a binder as you see necessary for applying your rubs.
    I usually dont use anything.

Smoke using your desired technique and wood of choice...

Pull and thoroughly mix in about 1/4 of the finishing sauce...
    Taste test and add more sauce to suit your personal preference.

if you try this, let me know what you think

Walt
    Last edited by Big Willie; November 15, 2019, 09:12 AM.

Wow. Cherry koolaid mix. Man, I haven't had koolaid other than the premade stuff they sell in gas stations (and I have only had that a couple of times) since I was a kid. My kids didn't particularly like koolaid so we never made it. I am going to have to try this just because of the koolaid.

Comment

I like the idea of using unsweetened koolaid.

Comment

Would love to try it. The problem is I would never make this. It sounds way too involved, and my [unfounded?] theory is my food would taste like cherry and be sweet. I feel like I am at a disadvantage because of this, and I may never actually get to try it to know for sure.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          It is pretty complicated. My normal butt routine is brine, rub, smoke.

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          klflowers I love it when you talk dirty!

The koolaid twist is, um, interesting. May have to try it just out of curiosity. Sounds like a very small amount for a butt in this recipe.

Comment

• Big Willie
          Big Willie commented
          Editing a comment
          With the cherry Dr Pepper, the maraschino cherry juice and the koolaid you get a recognizable but mellow cherry flavor...
          Before I added the koolaid it was barely noticable.

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
        Would love to try it. The problem is I would never make this. It sounds way too involved, and my [unfounded?] theory is my food would taste like cherry and be sweet. I feel like I am at a disadvantage because of this, and I may never actually get to try it to know for sure.
        Yes, it has a distinct but mellow cherry flavor but isn't overly sweet.
        Most noticable is almost no one uses any additional sauce.
        As I said..I'm a KISS kind of guy and this isn't my personal favorite and I wouldn't make it for just myself BUT, I get rave reviews from my guests every time I do...

Walt.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Very fair! Thanks for the recipe!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here