Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck's Pulled Park Secrets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck's Pulled Park Secrets

Chuck's Pulled Pork Secrets

Pulled Pork Secrets Recipe – Cooking – Serving Yield: Depends on how many people you want to feed; 5 pounds of pork butt or shoulder will make enough for 12-14 generous sandwiches after shrinkage and trimming. Leftovers freeze nicely. Preparation time: 10 minutes to trim and rub the meat. Cooking time: Allow approximately 10 – 12 hours at 225°F. (Depending on your grill/smoker)

The first thing that you need is your "Tool Kit"
    Tool Kit:
    • About 16 ounces of wood by weight • 1 grill or smoker with lots of fuel
    • 1 digital meat thermometer • An alarm clock • 1 lawn chair • 1 good book • A 6 pack of beer (Maybe more)
    • 1 pair of shades • Plenty of food themed tunes or a portable TV tuned to your favorite ESPN sports channel
    • Sun tan lotion Give your spouse a credit card and send her shopping. Now you’ve got the next 12 hours to make perfect BBQ pulled pork un-interrupted. (Sorry ladies) Ingredients:
    • About 5 pounds of pork (Again, depending on how many you want to feed)
    • A liberal amount of your favorite BBQ Rub (I use Chuck’s proprietary blend)
    • An adequate supply of your favorite BBQ Sauce (I use my own secret home-made sauce recipe. I could give you the recipe, but then I’d have to shoot you)
    • Kaiser Rolls or Hamburger Buns
    •Wood chips for your smoker. (I use pecan wood because of its mild flavor) About the wood. The idea here is to measure how much you use so next time you can add or subtract a measured amount until it is exactly the way you like it. You can use cups or handfuls. Just be consistent.

Cover your butt (ahem) or pork shoulder generously with the dry BBQ Rub. You can start cooking right away, but if you let it sit for at least an hour or more, the salt and spices will penetrate a little, giving you a better flavor. (Really)

Once you have the meat on to cook and smoke, then you can "get down" and enjoy your "tool kit". Ah, ain’t life grand?
    Is it ready? When it hits about 170°F, the collagens, which are part the connective tissues, begin to melt and turn to gelatin. That's magic baby. The meat gets much more tender when this happens. And juicy. When it hits 190°F, it may be ready, and it may not be ready. But it's time to check. The exterior should be dark brown. Some rubs and cookers will make the meat look black like a meteorite, but it is not burnt, and it doesn't taste burnt. There may be glistening bits of melted fat.

On a gas cooker it may look shiny pink. If there is a bone, use a glove or paper towel to protect your fingers and wiggle the bone. If it turns easily and comes out of the meat, the collagens have melted, and you are done. If there is no bone, use the "stick a fork in it method". Insert a fork and try to rotate it 90 degrees. If it turns with only a little torque, you're done.

If it's not done, close the lid and go drink some tequila for 30 minutes. This prepares your stomach to digest your food well. If the internal temp hits 190°F but the meat is still not tender, reduce the heat in your cooker to about 190°F and hold it there for as much as another hour. It should then be done.

If not, you've just got some tough pork. Wrap in aluminum foil and let it go for another hour, but don't take them above 200°F or else the muscle fibers will start giving up moisture and toughen. If you can't control the temp on your cooker, wrap the meat in heavy duty foil and move it indoors into a 190°F oven.

Do not add any sauce while it is on the cooker. That comes after you pull it.

Serving Pulled Pork: Pulled pork is best reheated in the microwave. The best method is in the microwave, second best is to heat it slowly in a pot with the lid on. There are so many wonderful ways to serve pulled pork.

It is marvelous just piled warm and steaming on a plate. Here are some more ideas-------
    • The classic Pulled Pork Sandwich. Mound it high on a nice bun. Open wide. Eat.
    • With Melted Cheese. A nice bit of pulled pork, a thin slice of onion, a slice of pepper jack cheese
    • Rollups. Roll it in a tortilla with chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, jalapeño pepper, and shredded cheese.
    • Here’s a killer app with pulled pork: Jalapeño Poppers! Split jalapeño peppers in half, scoop out the seeds and hot ribs with a spoon, and chop off the stems. Mix 1 part pulled pork with sauce and 2 parts cream cheese and fill the peppers. Grill over a medium-low heat until the cheese is soft, and the peppers begin to char.
    • Another nice dish is Pulled Pork in Louisiana Dirty Rice. Try our classic "Fire and Rice" which is our Pecan Smoked Boudin Blanc. Mix everything with the Cajun "holy trinity", (sautéed green pepper, onion, and celery). Enjoy!
    • Plop some on top of a Baked Potato.
    • Burritos, Tacos, Tamales – Pulled Pork adapts to any shape you want to fill.
    • Make a hearty breakfast by frying pulled pork, chopped onion, minced chili peppers, and Tater Tots. Then top it off with poached or sunny side up eggs.

And how do you like your Pulled Pork?

Click image for larger version  Name:	pp.jpg Views:	886 Size:	30.3 KB ID:	768600Click image for larger version  Name:	pp2.jpg Views:	384 Size:	12.7 KB ID:	768601

Click image for larger version  Name:	pp3.jpg Views:	368 Size:	7.2 KB ID:	768602
    Last edited by chucks meats; February 1, 2024, 11:56 PM.

And this all happens in the park?
    Thanks, an enjoyable read.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman - or is it South Pork Pulled Park??

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      pretty sure the cops will get called if you pull pork in the park.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Save pulling of your pork for the movie theater.

I want some of what you're drinking right now, so don't forget to post in that thread too... LoL

Comment

This sounds like it would make... pulled pork!

And I agree completely that it reheats best in the microwave. It reheats even better if you include a couple damp paper towels on the side.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

If I reheat I like the crock pot. Microwave is second. Like Mosca I do damp paper towels - on on top and one below. Great write-up.

Comment

Based on some of the comments, it's easy to see where your mind is at, and it ain't BBQ. Some of you guys need to get a life!

Comment

I need to add the tequila. Got everything else.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                If I had the tequila I wouldn't need anything else, although a blender, ice, and lime juice would come in handy!

I went with the pictucures. It looks. delicious.
              Last edited by mountainsmoker; November 14, 2019, 08:47 PM.

Comment

200° who knew? I loved my Weber gasser.
                Oh gawd I miss whiskey.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here