Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frist Ever Boston Butt & First Ever Overnight Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frist Ever Boston Butt & First Ever Overnight Cook

So four friends were coming for lunch with the promise of pulled pork. I had four kilos of pork shoulder and my Big Joe. After watching loads of YouTube videos and reading Meathead's book, I decided to cook it at 120℃ until it became probe tender. The guests were expecting to eat at about 14:00 so I sparked the Big Joe at 21:45 the night before and eventually put the Boston Butt on at 22:45, set the Flame Boss at 120℃ pit temperature and 95℃ internal temperature. I'd covered the pork with a rub consisting of equal amounts of Pink Himalayan salt and ground black pepper plus a teaspoon of garlic granules, a teaspoon of onion granules, a teaspoon of paprika and a quarter teaspoon of cayenne pepper. After watching the the progress for about an hour I took a Valium, to calm my nerves as this was my first ever overnight cook, and went to bed! The Flame Boss 500 held the temperature around 120℃ all night and at 08:15 the grill temp was 119℃, and the butt 81℃. By 13:45 the butt was 92℃ and probe tender, so much so that there was almost on resistance at all, and I therefore took it off, double wrapped it in foil then a towel and placed it in a cooler box to rest it for about 90 minutes. The result was amazing, everyone loved it and couldn't believe that it had cooked for 14 hours.
    Attached Files

Doesn't it feel good nailing it. No valium needed for next one😊.
    Good job Sir.

Comment

• HuwGT
      HuwGT commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it felt great and now I need an excuse for another, cook not a Valium.

Fantastic cook! I can do an overnighter on my Vision but not my others. I set my alarm for every hour to put more wood on but I really don’t think I sleep in between alarms. It sure is nice to have a system that allows both sleep and good food!

Comment

• HuwGT
      HuwGT commented
      Editing a comment
      The Big Joe used about half the fire basket of lump wood in the fourteen hours. the most impressive thing was the Flame Boss 500 that kept the temperature so steady.

I do overnighters on my wsm all the time and it usually works out well when I leave it alone and go to sleep. It's those nights when I think something is going wrong and I stay up fiddling with it that don't work out well.

Comment

• HuwGT
      HuwGT commented
      Editing a comment
      That's why I took the the Valium, just slept until the morning.

Congrats on the successful cook! Cooking for others is about the most loving thing you can do.

Comment

• HuwGT
      HuwGT commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, you're right when friends enjoy the food it makes it more worth while.

Great job. Time to puff your chest out for a successful cook.

Comment

• HuwGT
      HuwGT commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, I've shown the pics everyone that would look.

Looks real good. Congratulations on a successful cook.

Comment

• HuwGT
      HuwGT commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you I hope this is the first of many.

Congrats on a great first cook. Looks like you succeeded perfectly. Reviews like that are a great reward!

Comment

• HuwGT
      HuwGT commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it's great when other people know how it makes you feel to pull off a long cook for the first time.

Smell of BBQ wafting through the streets of London!!! Keep spreading the love...

Comment

• HuwGT
      HuwGT commented
      Editing a comment
      West London smelt great all through Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Sounds like an excellent cook. I personally like my butts at 92 or 93C (197-198F) better than 95/203. They pull great and are a tad moister, IMHO. Congratulations on a job will done!

Comment

• HuwGT
      HuwGT commented
      Editing a comment
      I was following a YouTube recipe that said 95/203 but when I used the instant read probe at 92℃ it just sank into the meat with almost no pressure so it was done and very moist. So you are right that is a better temp to aim for.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      HuwGT just be mindful of the fact that each hunk of meat is different. Internal temp is just a guideline.

C'mon, don't lie, you are really from North Carolina, right?

Comment

• HuwGT
      HuwGT commented
      Editing a comment
      The man who's recipe I was following is from North Carolina, John Setzler.

• Bobmcgahan
      Bobmcgahan commented
      Editing a comment
      Hah, of course he was. We will make you an honorary member of our state. Well done for a great first cook.

Thanks so much for letting us know how that cook turned out, HuwGT . Sounds perfect. No wonder your friends were impressed.

Hearty congrats!

Kathryn

Comment

• HuwGT
      HuwGT commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I hope to post many more.

Beautiful job! You take pics of my very best porkers and that's what you have right there. And you've got half of the American Chili Pepper recipe in your rub too.

I personally have to cut back on the heat with pork - i.e. the cayenne. For some reason pork is rich enough to often give me heartburn, and it's the only thing that does, if I don't remember to be mild in the prep or take something to cut back my stomach acid before eating. (beano, LoL)

Geez I love pork. At least once a week. Yours? Twice a week...

Comment

• HuwGT
      HuwGT commented
      Editing a comment
      My wife is the same, not a big fan of heat but loves pork, I prefer beef. However you can't beat a chicken vindaloo from the local India restaurant.

• Bobmcgahan
      Bobmcgahan commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, I miss London. Best Indian food outside of India.

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      never been to a chicken vindaloo - too many feathers. when I've got oscar in my remmies I head to a shaboo. I'll pass on the birds and stick to the sheilas.

Nice! Congrats!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here