Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Belly Burnt Ends as a Main Dish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Belly Burnt Ends as a Main Dish?

Hi all,

I've been traveling for three weeks so I've been really eager to grill something and this weekend's weather looks perfect. However, in my zeal, I may be getting a head of myself.

I got it in my mind to try pork belly burnt ends after watching a lot of videos over the past week. Now, I've never had pork belly burnt ends, let alone every cooked them. When I think more about it, this is more of an appetizer-type thing than a main dish, isn't it? I don't think I clued in to how sweet they probably are. So, am I right? Too much for a main dish?

I’d say more of an appetizer. Curious as to what others say. Maybe could use the burnt ends with tacos, then it could be a main-dish-ish?

Comment

PB burnt ends?!? Yummmmmm.

Mrs. Hawker would frown on that as a main course. I would have to agree.

Comment

It’s not that it’s too sweet, although some recipes are, it’s that they are so rich you don’t want (or can’t eat) more than a few pieces. Def works better as an appetizer than a main dish

Comment

Pork belly burnt end bhan-mii can be a main...

Comment

Yeah, that is what I was afraid of. No problem, I will simply push this back until the holidays when I'll have time to grill multiple times per day!

Comment

I can eat it as a main for sure, and so would my family. They are truly scrumptious, and a pile of them on my plate with some sides would be a meal. I usually make them along with something else, but have done a 9 pound belly only as well, as burnt ends.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                Plus 1! I don't get the "you can only eat a few pieces" stuff.

I'm with jfmorris I love burnt ends and always have them as a main. They go well in wraps with a side of deli slaw.

This for a nice easy main:-
              I smoke some chicken breasts along with the PBBE and take the breasts off before they are totally cooked through. Let the belly cubes go until they are nice and tender. I don't do the steam part of the recipe just let them rest in Huskees Shawsh. I cube the chicken and marinade with a lemon and herb basting.
              Onto a skewer alternating pork and chicken with bell pepper and onion slices between each protein. Then grill over high heat to finish.

I do lots of other things with belly.
              In case I haven't mentioned it I love pork belly.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                I think you might have mentioned that.

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey, I heard a rumor that you really like pork belly. True?

This rich and flavor packed tested recipe for our smoked pork belly version of the classic Vietnamese banh mì sandwich is sure to make your knees buckle. The recipe hits all the right notes for a perfect banh mì, including succulent BBQ pork belly burnt ends, spicy jalapeños, savory mayo, and tangy pickled veggies.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                Michael_in_TX commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah, that is what texastweeter was talking about. Hmm....I like that....the heat of the jalapeños and siracha would play nicely against the sweetness of the pork.

Sounds like something I would do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190824_144120.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	766690

Comment

• RustyHaines
                RustyHaines commented
                Editing a comment
                Great picture and oh lawdy lawdy they look so good.

A couple of days ago we did 2 versions (1. our Memphis rub and sauce, 2. PBC AP rub) of pork belly burnt ends as our main dish with baked spuds as sides.

Comment

Interesting....maybe it would work. I notice a lot of the videos for these tend to be what I am starting to call "competition style" in that there is so much sugar, so much glaze that they are essentially candy. I wonder if just using a relatively sweet BBQ sauce for the braise and pulling back a bit on the brown sugar and honey that I see dumped in there.

Comment

I would think pork belly would be a bit too rich for a straight main dish. 6-8 ozs (or 16-20 for most of us) is a lot of pork belly to eat. I am planning on having some for an appetizer on Thanksgiving. If you have those along with another meat I think they could be a good accompaniment but not a main.

Comment

Sorry, I'm late to this party. My wife thinks they would make a great sandwich on garlic butter toasted hoagies.

Comment

• JGo37
                    JGo37 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    um, what wouldn't? ;o)

• RustyHaines
                    RustyHaines commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree with your wife along with heaps of cooked vidalia onions.

I’ve served it as a main dish. It’s kind of like ribs without the bone.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here