Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tried a new rib recipe. Figured I'd share.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried a new rib recipe. Figured I'd share.

Usually I just do Memphis dust and no wrap until tender. Felt like experimenting. I've done many many racks that way and love them, buttttt this might change that.

Used Sam's club loin back ribs from a 3-pack.
    Salted around 4 hours before cooking
    used my WSM 22". 235° temp. Cherry and White oak mixed in to KBB

SIMPLE rub: Coarse black pepper, paprika, garlic powder. That's it. 1 part BP, 1 part paprika, 1/4 part GP.

Cooked 3 hrs unwrapped
    Wrapped in butcher paper with pats of butter on the paper and brown sugar on the meaty side, with meaty side down.
    Cooked 1.5 hours or so.

I unwrapped them and put them meaty side up
    Sauce was 50/50 Stubb's origonal and Cookie's Western.

Let them go until they felt tender. Took almost 6 hours to get them tender but not mush. Bones didn't really pull back either.
    ​​​​​​
    holy sh*t. The flavor was amazing. The black pepper really made these delicious.

Flavor: A++++
    Tenderness B (They just didn't quite get there. I might jump the temp at the end next time to see if that does it)
    Leftovers: F. There were none.

2nd pic is right before taking them off.

​​​​

​​​

Attached Files

*the top pic is right before taking them off, not the pre-sauce pic.

Comment

Sure look scrumptious

Comment

Nice work. I'm more of a 4-1-.5 guy with my St. Louies but more than one way to skin a cat as they say !!

Comment

Making me want some ribs. I see a rack or 3 coming this weekend maybe...

Comment

They look great.

Comment

Always looking to improve smoking ribs. Seems every time I do ribs I'm either a step closer or a step back from putting out great ribs.

Question, you stated "wrapped in butcher paper with pats of butter on the paper". What does that mean?? I cannot visualize it.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I didn't take a picture of that part, but all i did was lay out butcher paper for wrapping and just put a line down of bits of butter before laying the ribs meaty side down on top of the butter.

Comment

• TripleB
                  TripleB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Got it. Thank you. I will bookmark this thread and try out your technique. Thanks for posting.

• CBM87
                  CBM87 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great! Excited to hear your results and feedback.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here