Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomahawk Berkshire Pork Chops with Pear Sauce (and bonus)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomahawk Berkshire Pork Chops with Pear Sauce (and bonus)

With a steady supply of Berkshire tomahawk pork chops, they've become a staple in my rotation. When grilled to perfection, they're right up there with beef steaks. I chose to grill them live fire this go round in honor of my friend Henrik and his previous live fire lamb chop cook.

As an added bonus to this cook, I also ran across some prepared meat in Central Market that gave me an idea for some lollipop skewers that I included with this meal. First, a quick recipe description is in order for....

Lamb Keema Lollipops

Ingredients

1/2 pound lamb keema (curried minced lamb, grocery sourced)
    1/2 pound 80/20 ground chuck
    1 medium shallot
    1 jalapeno pepper
    1/3 cup chopped cilantro
    1 teaspoon Hank's Beef Rub
    5 skewers

Method

1) In a large bowl, combine and thoroughly mix together the lamb, the ground chuck and Hank's seasoning.

2) Mince the shallot. De-vein, remove the seeds and finely chop the jalapeno. Finally rough chop the cilantro and add all three to the bowl. Gently incorporate into the seasoned meat. Do not overwork or the mixture may turn mushy.

3) If the mix becomes too loose, add some bread crumbs to firm up.

4) Shape the meat into 1" thick by 3" long cylinders. Place a skewer through the longest cylinder dimension. Once all are formed and skewered, add some additional Hank's seasoning before grilling. Allow to rest in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to firm up.

5) Live fire grill until the internal temperature hits 135* for medium rare. Remove and serve.

So back to the star of the show, our tomahawks pork chops. I dry brined them overnight with 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt per pound. Prior to grilling, I hit them with some Lea & Perrins and gave them a base coat of coarse ground pepper followed by a liberal application of Killer Hogs pork rub. I let them rest in the fridge along with the lollipops until I fired up the grill....

Click image for larger version  Name:	berkshire 04.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.05 MB ID:	758688Click image for larger version  Name:	berkshire 05.jpg Views:	0 Size:	862.3 KB ID:	758687

Only thing left to do was feed the flame and start the ball rolling with 1/2 chimney of charcoal. Once the charcoal was ashed over and a base established, I added several mini mesquite logs to establish my fire. Once established I mounted my Santa Maria grilling accessory to my 22" Weber kettle.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	berkshire 06.jpg Views:	0 Size:	736.4 KB ID:	758689Click image for larger version  Name:	berkshire 07.jpg Views:	0 Size:	850.8 KB ID:	758690

The lollipops finished fairly quickly. Ran them up to about 135*F IT, removed them and covered them with foil. Chops finished when their internals hit 140*F IT, thinner ones first followed by the thicker ones. To go along with the chops, I wanted a sweet accompanied sauce to cut the pork fat taste and chose to do a simple pear sauce. It's basically an apple sauce substituting pears for apples.

Pear Sauce

Ingredients

3 Bartlett Pears
    2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    Juice of 1/2 lemon

Method

1) Chop the pears into small pieces. Add the pear pieces and the remaining ingredients to a small pan. Bring to boil and reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes until soft.

2) For a coarser texture, chop the sauce with a potato masher. For a finer texture add to a blender and give it a quick spin until smooth. Avoid liquefying.

3) Place into a container and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Chops and lollipops were served on a large platter for a help yourself meal. Along with the pear sauce, sides included slaw and barbecue beans.

Well back at ya Henrik, can't wait to see what you come up with next !!! Troutman is out !!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	berkshire 01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.26 MB ID:	758691Click image for larger version  Name:	berkshire 02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.60 MB ID:	758693Click image for larger version  Name:	berkshire 03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.11 MB ID:	758692
    Photos taken with a Nikon D7500 and a 70-200 mm Nikor lens.

Well, what can I say. It's a genuine pleasure reading your posts, your palate seems to favor the same flavors I like, you are a great cook and you plate and take photos like a pro. Pretty friggin' outstanding! Thanks for the writeup!

The chops and the pear sauce looks ridiculously good. And so do the lollipops. I think I'm gonna try something like that with some ground moose I acquired this weekend.

Comment

That is outstandingly outstanding.
      Commendation Sir.

Comment

Yup that looks amazing!! Very well written post as normal.. I don't generally like fruit with my meat. But I may try the pear sauce ..
        Last edited by Backroadmeats; October 20, 2019, 03:27 PM.

Comment

That all looks pretty great to me. Where I used to be from (Brooklyn - Top of the Food Chain!) they call those "lollipops" kefta (or kofta) kebab. They are awesome inside a pocket pita with little lettuce, chopped tomato, onion and tahini dressing.

Comment

Well, I was gonna comment, but there's no way I could say it better than Henrik , so I'm not...

Comment

Wow!

Comment

Very very impressive.. Don't mess with Texas spectacular as always....

Comment

Just fantastic... outstanding... awesome... so forth and such on..

Comment

"With a steady supply of Berkshire tomahawk pork chops, they've become a staple in my rotation."

uh. How did you manage that? :-)

"1/2 pound lamb keema (curried minced lamb, grocery sourced)".

wait, you didn’t prep that yourself ;-)

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Berkshire tomahawks sold at my local HEB all day every day.

Yea the lamb keema is a fairly involved recipe, just happened to see it already prepared in the store so what the heck?

Great looking food as you always post! I am humbled by your posts and recipes that you share!

Comment

Thanks for sharing! Amazing pictures - that food looks great! I love that you cook pork to 140F. I'm going to have to try that pear sauce.

Comment

You are as bad as Huskee . I really do not like either of you. I spent a dollar on doughnuts today to try his Smore recipe out tonight. ****For those new to the Pit - I was kidding. I really like these guys and they know it.

Comment

• Huskee
                          Huskee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah well I don't like you either. You're creating a lot of extra work for me moving good posts out of the Slaughterhouse channel....(also just kidding!)

Officially hungry. My Qdoba from just getting home from being on the road seems pedestrian. Well done!

Comment

Stunning, Steve! Cookbook quality!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here