Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon Fail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon Fail!

No, not the amount of fat in the meat😯 I woke up this morning and discovered that my second fridge, where I was holding the curing bacon, had failed and it was 55°F inside. Since I don't know for sure how long it was like that, I was forced to toss 5 lbs of belly. Bummer! On the positive side, the freezer was still frozen so that food was all saved.

Oh no! After all that yesterday. Well we all learned something out of it and good luck on your next try.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Comment

Eh...youre a safer man than me. In a wet cure id be totally ok with overnight 40-50 degrees. Just me though. Its def smarter to be safer than sorry.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll try anything once. Twice if I like it.

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Trust me, I wanted to. And there was a time in my life when I probably would have. But the closer I get to the end of the road, the less interest I have in doing things that might hasten me along that road.

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          Dewesq55 they say with age comes wisdom.. I keep getting older but don't seem to be gettin much smarter.. it was the correct call to pitch it!

Better safe than sorry...

Comment

I don’t know, I mean, sometimes ya just hafta go for it, ya know. Live life on the wild side, take a chance now & then. Whataya got to lose, think positive! It’s ok to live on the edge once in awhile. Don’t always go with the crowd. Be yer own man, suck it up, pull yerself up by the boot straps. Don’t let anybody call ya chicken!
          There, I think I covered it. 🕶

Comment

• DesertRaider
            DesertRaider commented
            Editing a comment
            "Don’t let anybody call ya chicken!" Well, it is (was?) pork belly, so calling him chicken wouldn't make much sense.
            Now, if we could have a moment of silence to honor the dpb (departed pork belly).

Bummer man!! This happened to me a few years ago. Lost my whole freezer!

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            That's good advice, but in this case the freezer was fine. It was the fridge part that warmed up.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Alarms don't do much good in the event of a power failure. I'm seriously considering a home generator. Also serve well during the zombie apocalypse

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            An M-60 don't need no geny! Troutman

Aahh man. That suc ‘er stinks.
          We were sooo looking forward to your results. Especially because of, ummm, some comments from, eerrr, someone here on your thread.
          So hope your next attempt goes better.

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. What you mentioned was at least a small contributor to my disappointment over it. C'est la vie!

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah. I’m sure you wanted to show him up.
            I would want the same.

It’s not worth it for 10 bucks worth of pork.

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            True that. Health safety is far more important.

A monitor system sounds good but do any of you have a suggestion on a brand or type?

Comment

AcuRite 00986 Refrigerator Thermometer with 2 Wireless Temperature Sensors & Customizable Alarms for Fridge & Freezer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QJVU78..._zI0MDb9BCS3ZM. .this is the one I bought if the link works!!

Comment

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, that went directly into my Amazon cart. I had a freezer fail that cost me several hundred dollars worth of product. Well, it wasn't actually a fail; somebody turned the breaker off...

• Skip
              Skip commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you @Backroadsmeats. I'll look into it.

Thermoworks has a couple 2 channel alarms for $29. Or a certified system for $84.
            Thermometers, BBQ, Cooking, Kitchen Tools, Steak, Doneness, Commercial grade

Comment

Sorry for your loss

Comment

I feel you - I had somebody turn a breaker off that fed my freezer awhile back. I lost the food and the freezer because I didn't realize it for at least a week. Couldn't get the smell out of the freezer. Luckily it was old and I got it very cheap...

Comment

Did you get the IT on the belly,,,was it @55 ?
                  Me in my constant state of invincibility would have fired up the smoker and put the half cured belly on and let the cards roll where they may.
                  Maybe some great burnt endzzzz !!!!
                  Or grab a magazine and head fer the outhouse !!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here