Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saturday Picnic Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday Picnic Roast

Our neighborhood grocery store had picnic roasts on sale for $0.99 a pound. I bought a 9.66 pound roast, dry brined for 24 hours, and did an overnight low and slow on the Performer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191003_185852.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	752372

Trimmed, salted and wrapped. Saved the skin to make a halloween mask. Or cracklins. Maybe both.

Name:	IMG_20191003_192716.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	752371

Rubbed with yellow mustard for binder, then MMD.

Name:	IMG_20191004_231658.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	752375

Getting the coals lit. I decided (against my better judgement to use a snake) to use the charcoal baskets, along with some hickory chunks for smoke. Roast went on at 11:30p.

Name:	IMG_20191004_231555.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	752373

I checked on things at 4:30a, and only one of the baskets had stayed lit. Oh well, temp was okay at 230F. Restocked the one basket, and put some more lit coals on the unlit basket. Back to bed.

Checked again at 9:30a. Same one basket not lit, other with a few remaining coals. Reloaded the one basket, put a few more lit coals on the unlit basket. Temp still fine at 230F, so no biggie.

Checked again at 11:30a, reloaded the one blessed basket that had burned down again. Didn't bother with the other that was still unlit. Roast temp was 185F. Decided not to wrap, and keep on truckin'.

Name:	IMG_20191005_123232.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	752374

Gave it a couple more hours, checked at 1:30p. Roast temp was 195F. Decided to pull it, and loosely wrap in foil, let carry over bring it all the way home.

1 hour rest, then ready to pull. Made some BBQ sauce while it rested (pot in the back).

Name:	IMG_20191005_143059.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	752376

Pulled nicely! Bones came out clean. One full sheet tray of deeeelicious pork.

Name:	IMG_20191005_144404.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	752377

Sauteed some purple onions, and toasted some buns. Finished product. My DLSW loved it, so that's good enough for me. Actually it was really good. I had a second sandwich for dinner.

Name:	IMG_20191005_184800.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	752378

I've used the baskets for slow, long cooks before, and it's not too bad. I'm going back to using the snake method though. It's less work, and I'm too lazy.

Looks awesome, but, to be honest, I'd rather make a pernil with that roast!

Name:	IMG_20191006_001206_01.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	752411

Comment

• crazytown3
      crazytown3 commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never seen that before. Looks good! The skin is kept on, and kind of 'fries up'? Nothing wrong with that.

EDIT: Just read the wikipedia post for pernil. Slow roast with a high heat finish to crisp the skin. I'm going to try this out soon.
      Last edited by crazytown3; October 6, 2019, 03:22 PM.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      A very traditional way to cook out is to carefully slice the skin most of the way off on one piece leaving it attached by just a small portion on the narrow end. When seasoning/marinating the pork (you marinate it by injecting a fairly thick spice pasted into deep knife slits all over then rub the balance all over the exterior) u flap the skin over to the side and season the part of the meat that was under the skin and the fatty side of the skin, then flap it back over in place.

Great lookin' cook.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Well done. That was a big picnic.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here