Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I shudder at our future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shudder at our future

Just helped my wife bring in groceries after a Walmart trip this morning and she relayed this story from her conversation with the man behind the meat counter.

She: "Do you have any pork belly?"
    Man: "What’s pork belly? Is that something like intestines? We don’t have any of those but we do have ham hocks and turkey tails. Would they work? They are right over there. What do you use pork belly for anyway?"

She smiled and walked away.

Sad but true. The guys behind the counter at my local grocery appear to just package and label what's shipped in.

Comment

Didn’t Walmart essentially switch from butchers to shelf-stockers, company-wise, in response to a unionization push?

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang!

My future is not with Walmart. 😀

Comment

I've been thinking of taking a diagram of the basic cuts of the 2 main animals with me when I go to a butcher I haven't used before. After thinking about it I decided if he needs an explanation then I'm better off not buying there.
        I must say the butcher's I'm using currently are pretty good with what I ask for except when I use the American terminology like asking for a pork butt or St Louis ribs.

Forgot to mention I love pork belly.

Comment

Walmart just represents everything wrong in big retail to me. I have never set foot in a walmart store (or online) and my hope is that I never do. I do shop ALOT at Amazon which is about the same so I know it does not make sense.
          My wife often says "I just can't figure you out"

Comment

• Mudkat
            Mudkat commented
            Editing a comment
            What's to figure out? You've never set foot in Amazon either! 😀

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            @Mudkay Thanks, finally I have a comeback!

I just "set foot" in Amazon in Cambridge, MA. And of course at Whole Foods where they do manage to score some fine fish, meat and produce (at a price). I bought one thing on line at Wally World and fortunately used my AMEX. Over the next two months I got 5 items (all unsolicited) shipped to me. When I called, it turned out that each one was supposed to have been shipped elsewhere and they didn't even want me to return them. then that stopped and they started charging my AMEX various amounts. When I called they were for items (different than what I had received) shipped to places I had never been. AMEX refunded everything of course and Walmart eventually did....which of course meant AMEX unreturned the money. ANyway they have seriously managed to mix up my address and my credit card.

Sadly none of the crap they sent me was stuff I wanted and I gave it all to my sister who wants anything.

Amazon once sent me two giant cymbals. No shipping label. Didnt want them back either. I sold them on ebay

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            If'n they was Zildjians, reckon I mighta jus kept em...

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            I think you mistake her for my sister.

• fracmeister
            fracmeister commented
            Editing a comment
            They were Zildjians indeed. Big ones

It is US of A. Cheap cheap cheap. Then wonder what happened to the craftsmen.

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Not exclusive to USA it's becoming a world wide bad trend.

So true DiverDriver For most things I do not mind paying for quality and craftsmanship. And it's getting more difficult to find it. If it is even available.
          I tend to keep things forever. My last car I had for 27 years and the only reason I gave it to my Daughter was because I couldn't drive it anymore.

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            What you say is true but these parts the same sentiments are shared by many but when presented with quality somehoe only a few come forward making it difficult for quality to survive. Price always seems to play the biggest role. DiverDriver
            Last edited by holehogg; September 29, 2019, 01:40 PM.

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            holehogg sadly true. Many people look at me and say "you paid how much?" then shake their head. But I'm not complaining and buying another one later.

Yup. Donw holehogg and ofelles this whole world is going to shit. Everything made in China and absolutely no quality control. Although you always get a piece of paper in the box showing QC passed.
          We need to go back to our roots and make things simple again.

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            While I agree in principal, I am not averse to buying things made in China. I have bought several Chinese made guitar pedals. All have been very inexpensive and all (so far) have been excellent. Just saying.

They're hourly employees assigned to work behind the meat counter. They were in sporting goods yesterday.

Comment

In order to not git vociferous, I'm goin next door, to torture my neighbour with a Stratoblastin, BBS...
            He was offerin some JB, neat...

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I too would drink JB if it were free, especially accompanied by some guit-fiddle playin. Suppose you were to shoot a little vid and share it?

Actually, axed him to shoot a lil video (he don't play, so ain't like he's too busy, but, somehow, he snaked outta it, while I played , some...

Gonna try proppin up th phone, see what happens
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 29, 2019, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Wait...what's a turkey tail? For that matter what's a WalMart?

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Walmart is where you go to find really f🤬d up people that don’t actually fit in society.
                Any society. 😬

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                A turkey tail is the "Parson’s Nose," of the animal. Originally almost always exported to other countries or used in pet foods. Now they are being marketed to consumers here. Fun fact: they appear bloated because they contain the gland that produces the oil the birds uses to preen their feathers. Yum?😋

I've had to think about this, but decided to reply. My youngest son didn't want to go to college, bright kid, just done with school. After high school he was an industrial radiographer for the company I worked for. When he finally got tired of living in motels in every part of the country he moved and went to work for Walmart. In the 10 years he's been with them he worked his way into management and is doing well. He has better benefits than I ever did. I never have to send him money. In an age where so many kids are moving back in with their parents mine is doing fine thanks to Walmart.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Sendin blessins to him on his continued path to Success, from out here, on th Prairie, sez I...

• Oak Smoke
                Oak Smoke commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Mr. Bones. Folks that send them tend to receive them. I hope yours suit you just fine

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                Walmart takes a bad rap, but the concept was taken from Sol Price, the founder of FedMart. Sol sold his shares in FM and founded the Price Club, which became Costco. I also know several people who work for WM and they have made a good living. In our small towns they are the largest employer.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here