Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baby Back PSA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby Back PSA

These are "new" to me and I thought they might be of interest to others. Purchased at Walmart. Although I won’t BBQ them until tomorrow, they do "feel" to be a thicker and more meaty cut to the hand.
    Attached Files

While I normally don't do baby backs, the wife brought home two of these from Wal-mart on sale at $1.99. Since they had salt in the solution I only used a 1/4 ounce per lb. to dry brine them over night. They came out great. The normal price was shown as $3.49.

Smithfield pork is usually very , very good. It is my go to if I can't get heritage pork.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; September 21, 2019, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• mstruth
      mstruth commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks much for your comment. Given they have the salt in the solution, I was not going to dry brine them at all. But based on your comment, I'll halve the dry brine. (As an aside, my brother in SC bought the same basic Smithfield product at Ingles, but with somewhat different packaging. Oddly, it did not indicate any salt in its solution???)

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Keep reading it's in the fold of the plastic wrap, last ingredient.

Look pretty good. Probably have some extra loin meat left on the bone. I'm hit or miss with Smithfield. Really don't like them adding salt and phosphates, prefer to do it myself. At least they have the right idea. Besides, if Tuffy signed on they gotta be good (or the kick back check won't come through )

Comment

What is the percentage of sodium that shows its been in salt solution? It doesn't say so on the label (from Costco) but I remember there being a certain percent like over 3%...?
      Last edited by HawkerXP; September 21, 2019, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Well it says an 8% solution of water that contains 2% of the chemicals and salt. Your guess is as good as mine as to what exactly that is. One reason why I shy away from the pre-packaged pork and chicken products. Call me a snob but I like my protein fresh as I can get it.

I’m not a fan at all of Smithfield ribs. The spares I’ve had are very fatty and the back ribs have a crap ton of loin meat left on them so the can charge more for it I guess. I end up trimming that part off so it becomes a waist of money.
      i just haven’t had good luck with the Smithfield brand but YMMV.

Comment

I'm not a huge Smithfield fan either (because of the usually high sodium content), but it's pretty prevalent in my neck of the woods. I try to buy my babybacks at Sam's Club and oftentimes I discover they're Smithfield, so I pass.

Also I don't like the extra meaty (loin meat on top) type because they don't cook evenly and take much longer. I only smoked that type once, and that was enough for me.

Kathryn

Comment

• Jon Liebers
          Jon Liebers commented
          Editing a comment
          I totally agree, least favorite is Smithfield "anything". I have always found to be full of fat, poorly butchered and from what I know about Smithfield the company I certainly try to avoid that type of mass produce kill facility. Try Betterpork.com for humanely raised heritage Berkshire pork.

Meaty Baby Back. Isn't that an oxymoron?

Comment

Love them or hate them – they appear to be "as advertised."
          Attached Files

Comment

YMMV, but I liked 'em! I believe they were significantly thicker due to a good bit of extra loin meat.

(DISCLAIMER: All opinions expressed by MStruth are solely MStruth’s opinions and do not reflect the opinions of AmazingRibs.com. You should not treat any opinion expressed by MStruth as a specific inducement to follow a particular strategy, but only as an expression of his opinion. MStruth’s statements and opinions are subject to change without notice. Before acting on information provided by Michael, you should consider whether it is suitable for your particular circumstances and strongly consider seeking advice from your own culinary resources. )
          Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Heehee, yer purty amusin. Takes one to know one lol!

Great Lookin Ribs, btw...
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 22, 2019, 09:15 PM.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Man I'd allow the barbecue sauce to make my face all gooey with non-stop chomping of those bad boys !!

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I was looking for the Terms and Conditions "Agree" button.

Those ribs look awesome. Glad they worked out for you.

K.

I sent my Mister to the store recently with instructions to buy Compart Duroc ribs for this weekend's cook. He came back with two racks of Smithfield St Louis cut ribs. He felt bad when he realized his mistake, but I still love him. I cooked them up this afternoon using the Blasphemy Ribs method and they turned out pretty good.

I smoked a rack of Smithfield spare ribs earlier in the summer, and I was less than impressed with those. They had almost no meat on the ribs and not much between the ribs either. My own d**m fault as much as anything. I should have waited to buy when they had a better selection to choose from.

I looked at those baby backs in Wally World recently and saw the layer of loin meat on these ribs -- I thought at the time they might be hard to cook well.

I agree w Troutman -- Smithfield ribs are hit 'n miss.

Comment

Those ribs look mighty fine.

Comment

Has anyone purchased the Sam´s Club house brand `Members Mark?` It claims No added preservatives, hormones or steroids. I´d like to dry brine them but am cautious about oversalting.

Comment

I bought Sam´s Club house brand `Members Mark` recently. It claims No added preservatives, hormones or steroids. I´d like to dry brine them but am cautious about oversalting. Have you tried these?

Comment

• mstruth
                  mstruth commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes- have done them several times. Dry brined them and had good results.

Browns Fan in Chiefs Land , I use the babyback ribs from Sam's Club all the time. No extra salt added. They come in a 3 pack, at least where I live. If you have the same, you can dry brine them to your heart's content.

Also, I think if there was added salt, the package would say so, at least in the Nutrition section you'd see it.

When all else fails, ask the butcher if what your interested in has been salt-brined.

Have fun cooking up those ribs!

Kathryn

Comment

Most of the ribs I cook are the baby back (loin back) that are in 3 packs at Sam's Club. They don't really say who they come from (Smithfield, Hormel, whatever), but look to be these:

https://www.samsclub.com/p/pork-loin...lp_product_1_1

As it says, no added solutions. They do often have a LOT of loin meat on them, especially at the smaller end of the rack, but I have no trouble getting them done in about 4-5 hours on my kettle with the SNS - I stand them up in a Weber rib rack, using 3 of the 5 slots in the rack so as to keep a gap between them, and they come out great. I flip them over to put the other edge up and rotate the front and back racks about half way through the cook, due to the vertical temperature gradient you see in a kettle when smoking.

I did a cook on the offset of 3 racks of the loin backs from Sam's, and 3 racks of St. Louis cut, last summer. The family for the most part greatly preferred the loin back ribs from Sam's over the Smithfield St. Louis cut. They actually like the loin meat on the ribs I think. I felt it was a toss up myself.

This past weekend I cut up 3 racks of "prime pork" baby backs from The Fresh Market, and cooked them "blasphemy style", due to time constraints. It was good pork, not sure it was noticeably different than what I get at Sam's Club, although the raw pork itself had a darker, redder color than the ones from Sam's. I figure the rubs and sauces masked any underlying pork flavor difference.

EDIT: I've cooked these exact Smithfield baby backs recently. My son-in-law, my son and I were supposed to brew beer on a weeknight, which usually is a process that runs from 5pm to about 10pm. Being that SWMBO was going to play Bunco all evening at a friends, I picked up 3 slabs of these at the Neighborhood Walmart down the street at lunch. I went for steaks, but these were priced at about $7 per slab that day, and I figured, heck - a slab for each guy? Why not! They were good ribs. I was out of MMD and used Bad Byron's Butt rub both to dry brine and as the rub. My son didn't show up (had to work until 9pm - he's an accountant and it was month end), so we had a full slab left over that the wife and I ate for a couple of nights. She didn't care for the Butt Rub on the ribs, and commented on it - she likes the MMD better. The ribs themselves I felt were very good.
                  Last edited by jfmorris; October 3, 2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here