Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about ribs

i read somewhere on here about things to avoid when buying or dry brining ribs. Sorry I couldn’t find where I saw it . Are these to be avoided or do they just need to be cooked differently. Also, are these rib tips just the ends of spare ribs cut off. What makes them so much more expensive?

Click image for larger version

Name:	8F20A827-4FA4-4C2C-A5F9-6584BF381942.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	743101Click image for larger version

Name:	D733D1FC-DF2D-41CD-A2E9-27664E13B81F.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	743102Click image for larger version

Name:	EBC7C950-FF2B-40A2-98C6-7E861C92C854.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	743103

Typically you don’t need to dry brine any meat that already has a sodium level above 200mg already. As far as rib tips, yes, they are the end of the spare rib that is cut off when you make it into St. Louis style ribs. Pork cuts are explained here:

How do you tell the difference between rib cuts? Learn all the names and characteristics of the different rib cuts and how to cook them.

I can’t say why they would be more.

Comment

Rib tips are great for the kids to nibble on, but they really don't have much meat. I use them as my afternoon snack when I cut down a full rack to St. Louis style. As far as the ribs with tenderizers added sounds like your getting into competition additives. I would rinse and dry and then dry brine between a 1/4 and 1/2 tsp per pound. It doestn't look like they have enough salt to meet the 200 gram limit. I can't tell the brand so that doesn't help me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here