Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Char Siu (Chinese BBQ)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Char Siu (Chinese BBQ)

I have a few friends who live in Indy who came from Hong Kong. They tell me it is hard to find good char siu in Indy, and that Chinatown in Chicago is about the closest good char siu around. My friend went to Chicago and brought some back for me. My best guess is that this char siu is pork shoulder cut with the grain, marinated, cooked, and then sliced across the grain. Anyone have experience with this? I understand I can use tenderloin, pork belly, and neck as well, but I want to start with shoulder, if that's what you think this is in the pics below. Anybody live near a Chinatown with access to char siu?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190906_131001.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	740281Click image for larger version

Name:	20190906_131039.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	740282Click image for larger version

Name:	20190906_131012.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	740283

(I forgot to mention that the other pork in one of the pics comes from the rib tips. I identified that easily enough.)

Comment

Check out this Seonkyoung Longest video on Char Siu.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Great video.

• mrteddyprincess
        mrteddyprincess commented
        Editing a comment
        Enjoyed very much. Thank you!

This is the closest I have come. https://tasteasianfood.com/char-siu-recipe/

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, Sir. More info. More skills! My Asian friends thank you!

You can use shoulder, loin or country ribs. I made some a while back turned out very good.

Here we go again. Show us what you're cooking! III (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/the-pit-mastery-program/108549-show-us-what-you-re-cooking-iii) was starting to act a little quirky so we're starting the next round with SUWYC! IV. Past Show Us What You're Cooking Threads: SUWYC I (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
        Editing a comment
        Did you cut the pork butt with the grain to get the pieces? Then against it after it was cooked? (Thanks for sharing!)

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        mrteddyprincess As best I could. Shape made it a little difficult but mostly.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here