Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas for chunk pork shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas for chunk pork shoulder

Hello all, so as football season begins I want to start building my roster for go to gameday meals. I've got a nice burnt ends recipe (thanks meathead), and a solid (yet still tweaking) ribs recipe. My next obstacle is pork shoulder, specifically chunk pork shoulder. I would love some advice-recipes, rubs, pretty much anything from you guys and gals that will make these getting a starting spot in my gameday lineup! Thank you in advance!!!! Go Pats!

How does chunk pork shoulder differ from pork shoulder? Are you looking to pull it, cook it like a roast of pork...?

Comment

• Toomey22
      Toomey22 commented
      Editing a comment
      Open to either, just seeing what people do the most with the most success ya know.

Sorry, your last comment
    Go Pats!
    left me out. No collusion with the enemy. Go Giants!!

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      100% agree!

Meathead's Memphis Dust is my go-to rub for shoulders. 250 degrees on my home built smoker (or PBC if I'm only doing one)with Kingsford charcoal and Applewood. About 10-12 hours to 203 degrees, wrap in foil and hold in a cooler for an hour or two. Always a crowd favorite. Get some good quality rolls for sandwiches. Creamy coleslaw, Famous Dave's spicy pickle chips, sweet red onion, and your favorite BBQ sauce for fixin's. Good luck from Packer country!

Comment

• Toomey22
      Toomey22 commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been putting MMD on everything I can! It is really amazing, thanks for this feedback its getting me very hungry!!

Originally posted by Toomey22 View Post
    Hello all, so as football season begins I want to start building my roster for go to gameday meals. I've got a nice burnt ends recipe (thanks meathead), and a solid (yet still tweaking) ribs recipe. My next obstacle is pork shoulder, specifically chunk pork shoulder. I would love some advice-recipes, rubs, pretty much anything from you guys and gals that will make these getting a starting spot in my gameday lineup! Thank you in advance!!!! Go Pats!
    Generally, the pork shoulder is divided into two cuts, the picnic and the butt. Either one is suitable for smoking to 203ish for pulled pork. You can take the butt to slightly lower temp, and slice it, which is also delicious. Use Meathead's Memphis Dust, or your favorite pork rub. The picnic half usually has more skin and fat cap; I would remove that, and make some pork cracklins' .

Comment

Picked this for pork butt.
      Its really good.
      Sometimes we get out the slow
      cooker and mix a can of root beer
      with BBQ sauce and more dry rub.
      Pull the pork and into the slow cooker
      for 30-40 mins.
      Onto a suitable bun with slaw
      Cant beat it
      Attached Files

Comment

I always separate the butt from the picnic as the picnic is a more dense piece of meat and I cure it with pink salt and have a small ham after smoking. IMO it does not make good pulled pork, not enough fat to loosen it up.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here