Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok so now what do I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so now what do I do?

20 pounds of Gyro meat for $9.99 so I HAD to bring it home but seriously, what the heck do I do with it? Click image for larger version

Name:	20190904_121340.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	739454

One idea - https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...-of-gyro-meat/

I'd probably throw it on the rotisserie on my gasser.
    Last edited by pkadare; September 4, 2019, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• aladdin4d
      aladdin4d commented
      Editing a comment
      It doesn't look like it in the picture but it's actually a cone, not a tube, so I'm not sure how well that actually going to work.

Here kitty, kitty, kitty.🙂

Comment

i would slice it and brown it on the griddle.

Comment

Isn't gyro meat the meat equivalent of pot metal?

Comment

Like pkadare said if you have a rotisserie strong enough for it do it on it. The juices will hold to it as it rolls. The great thing about rotisserie cooking.

Comment

Put a meat probe in it with the wire wrapped around the side and place it in front of the building you hate the most.

NO DON’T DO THAT!!!!
            I’m just messing.
            Please don’t ban me for this. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Comment

Roto is the way. Oh BTW, what were you thinkin when you bought it, just wonderin.

Comment

• aladdin4d
                aladdin4d commented
                Editing a comment
                You're assuming I was actually thinking. Never assume that if it involves me buying food or cookers. The last thing I remember was Beef+lamb 50¢ per pound.

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Ok, I get it, Meat............Cheap!

• bardsleyque
                bardsleyque commented
                Editing a comment
                gyro's party!!!

I think the point of the rotisserie, and really the way they do it in restaurants, is that you aren't trying to cook the entire thing at once, just the outside, slicing bits off as you go. So I think I'm with SMOG MAN here. If you can't rotisserie, slice chunks off and brown them.

Comment

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                Excellent point, hadn't thought about that. Doh!

• aladdin4d
                aladdin4d commented
                Editing a comment
                Exactly!

There is a problem here. In restaurants, the "outside" is shaved to be eaten, meanwhile the "body" continues to cook. In trying to think this thru, no one has mentioned feeding 20 or more people. So, if you shave it than cook it, what do you do with the rest. I’m guessing you have to cook the "whole thing" then figger out what to do with the left overs.

Comment

• snowswamp
                snowswamp commented
                Editing a comment
                I was thinking the same thing. Cutting it down into slices first would allow you to freeze it in usable portions instead of having to get the whole neighborhood over burping up Tzatziki sauce.

• aladdin4d
                aladdin4d commented
                Editing a comment
                Not only that, it's a cone much larger at one end. Even if I can get it on my horizontal rotisserie it won't cook evenly. A gyro rotisserie is usually vertical and the large end of the cone goes to the top.

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey, but it was .50 a pound!

freeze it until stiff, run it through a meat slicer to cut thin slices of it, and then griddle it. Unless you have a rotisserie and the patience to sear, since, sear slice, sear slice...

Comment

• gmascolo51
                gmascolo51 commented
                Editing a comment
                I wonder if there is some sort of dowel that runs down the center to help attach it to the cooker?

• aladdin4d
                aladdin4d commented
                Editing a comment
                It's a hollow core to fit on the rotisserie rod but it's a smaller diameter than my rotisserie. Some mods might be in order.

I would shave off some of the meat and pan fry it. If you have a rotisserie, I would use that, but you have to continually be shaving as it cooks, which is fine, but labor intensive.

Comment

If your a Prime member, you can get a gyro cooker to your house by Monday.

Of course, this screws up the 50 cents a pound thing, but then you'd have a cool cooker too!

Hope this helped.

Comment

• synodog
                  synodog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s my kind of thinking

• aladdin4d
                  aladdin4d commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm having a hard enough time explaining the meat!!

Update - What I ended up doing and the result is in the Volume 15 Show Us What You're Cooking! thread.

Comment

Where did you buy this at?

Comment

• aladdin4d
                    aladdin4d commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A local grocery that's off the beaten path an has nothing but closeout deals. To give you an idea of the area it's just past a place that has a sign for, and I'm not kidding, "Meat and Auto Sales"

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here