Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Federal Holiday? Yep, I am smoking some meat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Federal Holiday? Yep, I am smoking some meat!

Another Holiday weekend, another chance to smoke some Butt. Although, it was a challenge finding a butt. What the heck is going on? I went to 3 Krogers who only had the picnic shoulder. I go to Wal Mart...picnic shoulder. I was getting worried. I hate to buy the picnic and pay for all that skin. I like pork rinds, but don't feel like making some. Finally someone mentions a meat market nearby. The other one I go to doesn't carry pork other than ribs, so I wasn't hopeful. BUT they came thru. And the staff was talking some serious smack about Ole Miss football, which always warms my heart! #HAILSTATE #GOTIGERSGO

So I got home, trimmed this 8.9lb beauty and threw the Kosher to her. Well, I don't know it was a her...could've been a him. This morning at 6:30 the sun was peaking out, the temps were a brisk 69 (normally on September 1 it would be 78-82) and the Slow N Sear was singing the song of my peoples!

I also am planning on holding out a hunk or two of this when I get done today. I want to chop that up and fry it in a cast iron skillet to get a good crisp on it and make some carnitas tacos. That may be tomorrow night tho.

I've got some bacon wrapped jalapenos and some balogna to go with this. Happy Day with No Labor, Y'all!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190901_071053.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	738110Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190901_070649.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	738111Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190901_070758.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	738112

Lookin good!

Comment

Looks like a great start to your day. What rub do you have on it? When you make the carnitas, do you add any other spices to the pork, or just fry it up as is?

Comment

• droopie69
        droopie69 commented
        Editing a comment
        It's pretty much MMD....I may or may not have actually measured out the ingredients. I usually just eyeball and measure my pour. Then the taste test and add a little extra something something. As far as the carnitas, I've never tried this myself, so probably just as is...maybe some fresh cracked pepper. Put them on some flour tortillas, some bbq sauce, slaw, maybe some jalepenos and hot sauce. 3 months from 50 and my stomach is rebelling. I had about 4 jalepeno slices last night- killed me

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha. Sorry about the jalapeño problems. I'm 42, and my stomach feels the same way, but I just keep pushing through Let us know how the pork goes!

I love making carnitas with leftover pulled pork. I don’t add any other seasoning, just fry it up in a cast iron skillet to crisp it a bit.

Comment

• droopie69
        droopie69 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm trying to decide if I am even making a sandwich at all! Those tortillas look so inviting....I think I may throw some on the grill when it is time to smoke/toast them.

droopie69 Looks like a thing of beauty! You are speaking my language with those tacos. I do the same thing with smoked chuckies. On another note, we are having an unseasonably mild summer here in the Great Northwet also.

Comment

Forgot to mention, the local Kroger didn't have cherry chunks, so I threw some apple chunks in it. I did apple before and couldn't really tell. I can taste the cherry, but I don't imagine my guests will get all hoity toity and say, I can't eat this swill....there's no cherry flavor. LOL If they do, I'll put a Red Foreman and my foot, their ass!

Comment

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          I always do apple with a touch of oak on my pork. Like the apple flavor.

September 1 at 69 F , what we say up here, winter’s comin!

Comment

• Red Man
          Red Man commented
          Editing a comment
          Jeez...69 degrees at 6:30 am, it’s almost never that warm here that early in the morning!

• droopie69
          droopie69 commented
          Editing a comment
          Typical August in Memphis, 93-97 with about 60-70% humidity....that's when we get EXCESSIVE HEAT warnings....heat index 110+. It's ONLY about 89 right now with 61% humidity. Usually at night it doesn't get below 72...so this morning was very nice. Earlier this week it was 62 when I left for work...very unseasonable but welcome!

Running a little low on MMD, but it will get thru this cook! I cheated and bought premade italian sausage/cream cheese stuffed/bacon wrapped peppers. YUM YUM

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190901_154735_349.jpg Views:	1 Size:	241.3 KB ID:	738383Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190901_154735_346.jpg Views:	1 Size:	253.0 KB ID:	738384Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190901_154735_350.jpg Views:	1 Size:	299.2 KB ID:	738385

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Look homemade to me

Cheater, cheater, pants on fire. Hmm, doesn’t sound right. Oh well.

Comment

• Red Man
          Red Man commented
          Editing a comment
          Pumpkin eater? 🤣

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          I think it is where your from. I have heard both.

Well, it turned out great. I made pulled pork tacos....too hungry to wait on everyone to clear out of the kitchen and get a skillet out! And I had more tacos this morning for breakfast. AND I think I am about to have some for lunch!!!!!!

Well, I got a shot of the sunrise and sunset yesterday. Here's a shot of the pan of pork that was devoured by over half and my breakfast tacos!

Happy Labor Day, Y'all

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190901_193326.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	738840Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190902_105012.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	738841Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190901_193359.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	738842

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll take the tacos thank you.

Good work, had a busy weekend and weather yesterday crapped out on me.
        Thankfully had some leftover pulled pork from last weekend so got my fix.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here