Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Spare Ribs Brisket Bone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Spare Ribs Brisket Bone?

I was asked to smoke some ribs next weekend by a very nice lady. She gave me 4 packages of ribs from Costco to cook. I didn't notice until I got them home that they aren't regular ribs. I have Googled these and haven't found much. I searched AR and didn't find anything. I am assuming these are the part of the ribs you trim off when you make St Louis style. Any ideas how to cook these?

Yeah, there should be a video on YouTube showing how to trim some St Louis cut out of some spare ribs. I like to buy the spare ribs because they're much cheaper per pound and I don't mind trimming them up to the exact size I want.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      if those trimmings aren't to fatty they go great in baked beans or chili

You don't HAVE to trim them. I have cooked them just like my version of last meal ribs but you are going to have some sections that have that gristly bits down there in rib tip land.

That assume you got the whole ribs. If ALL you got were those rib tips then AR has a recipe https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ib-tips-recipe

How about a photo? "Brisket Bone" is really confusing.

Comment

• HandsomeDave
      HandsomeDave commented
      Editing a comment
      fracmeister Yeah the brisket bone thing threw me too. I did load a couple of pictures below, but I am thinking maybe it is just the whole rib section.

If they look like this they are prepared like regular spare ribs..
    Attached Files

Comment

So these are just the whole rib section, pre-trimmed? They are frozen so it is hard to tell what is in the package. I guess I was thinking that were rib tips. They were only 1.19 a pound, so was wondering what I had.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190825_173229.jpg
Views:	7485
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	735234Click image for larger version

Name:	20190825_173223.jpg
Views:	7839
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	735235 Whole ribs? It looks like there are two in each package.

Comment

At 10+ lbs per package there are probably three in each package as each piece should be between three and four lbs.

Comment

Nothing to do but cook them!

Comment

Bout th onliest thing better'n spare ribs, that'd be some more spare ribs, way I reckon it!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Bones speaking on a thread about a bone....

I found this description. Essentially, they are St. Louis style ribs.

"
              Pork come in many styles, including baby back ribs, country-style ribs -- which are not actually ribs at all but come from the shoulder area -- spare ribs, and St. Louis-style ribs, which are also known in some areas of the country as pork spare rib brisket"

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank heavens for web search engines. Mystery solved.

Kathryn

Those appear to have been trimmed to St Louis. If they haven’t been, it is easy to trim them. There are plenty of primers available. Have a big, sharp knife at your command.

As long as the breastplate isn’t attached, you are okay with just trimming the flap meat and pulling the membrane. I do them tips and all together, no problem.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190831_080236.jpg
Views:	8072
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	737620

Comment

So it turns out these aren't ribs at all. Looks like the trimmings from when they cut St Louis style ribs. There aren't even any rib tips. The largest part of them is a large bone covered with a thin layer of meat. I am assuming this is the brisket bone. Not sure at all what to do with these. Looks like good stew meat.

Comment

It’s trimmings for sure. I’ve never heard the brisket term before but regardless I’d cook them just like you would the ribs they were cut off of.
                    Last edited by Troutman; August 31, 2019, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Cut into cubes and make burnt ends. I like to put them on a skewer so they are easier to handle on the pit.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here